Formulation Director - Green Chef
We are people against dirty® (PAD), and we’ve always done things differently. We are fearless thinkers, mad scientists and adventurous designers who believe that making soap leads to brave ideas, bold inventions and beautiful bubbles.
We are small, but we have big plans to make the world a cleaner, greener, more colorful place. And we invite everyone to join us as we pioneer a future where doing business is doing good for all.
Reporting to the Sr. Director of Formulation, a Green Chef is part chemist, part engineer, part innovator and part git-r-done. The Green Chef role is to develop and test the best and most sustainable products and then bring them to market. We want to delight our users so they keep coming back for more! As a Director level Green Chef it is important that you have a chemistry and/or chemical engineering background, hands-on formulation experience and demonstrated proficiency in a lab setting. Just as importantly, you should have superior communication and teamwork skills, strong project management and prioritization skills and exhibit a passion for environmentally sustainable solutions and creative problem solving.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Ideate and develop innovative formulations for products using green chemistry tools that meet consumer and technical objectives.
- Conduct related performance, consumer and stability studies to ensure products deliver on quality, on budget and on the product experience
- Work with business (pod) teams to co-develop and articulate project criteria and build plans for developing new products, executing line extensions and enabling cost savings
- Develop and support compelling, consumer-noticeable claims for new products and product improvements; conduct competitive analysis on products and collaborate with sales and marketing teams to develop label copy, graphics, usage instructions and claims substantiation
- Work with suppliers to incent green chemistry solutions through testing and timely feedback, iterative material improvements and incorporation into products
- Work with fragrance, regulatory, legal and greenskeeping (sustainability) teams to manage fragrance experience, legal/regulatory compliance and sustainability assessments on formulations
- Collaborate with global development teams on platform technologies and innovation
- Continually improve environmental positioning of products through source reduction, green chemistry solutions and innovative product approaches (e.g. 8x laundry)
- Continually assess and upgrade formulation capabilities, including technical knowledge base, test methods, consumer understanding of method formulations and formulation skills
- Work reception once a month*
- At least 10 years in consumer packaged goods industry with strong technical background in chemistry and formulation
- Formulation skills in developing rinse-off/leave-on products for the Home & Personal Care market required. Formulation skills in adjacent categories a bonus! (e.g. beauty care/color cosmetics, agro- formulations, industrial/commercial, etc.)
- Ability to drive results (independently and as part of a team) make recommendations, craft smart plans and deliver against them
- Strong communication skills to keep the team up-to-date and give and receive useful feedback
- Strong legal and regulatory understanding as they relate to consumer products, IP assessment and claim support activities
- Ability to learn quickly and start contributing immediately
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at once
- Energy and Passion with a high capacity for work, the ability to prioritize effectively and propagate excitement; Good attitude and positive outlook are a must!
- Interpersonal acumen strong collaboration skills and always willing to help others succeed; act as a mentor to junior staff
- Ability to bring solutions by using sound judgment and experience to guide development
- Innovation instinct -- discovery, ideation, prototyping skills and a knack for finding creative ways to tackle challenges and assess ingredient technologies and formulation strategies to deliver unique, own-able differentiation on shelf
- Bachelors Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related fields
PAD PERKS:Our values are at the heart of everything we do. Here are a few of the
ways weCare like a Motherfor every person against dirty:
- Rockstar health insurance benefits package
- Competitive vacation bundle + 3 Care Days (a.k.a. Volunteer Time-Off) a year
- Generous retirement match + pre-tax savings options
- Global Ping Pong Tournament + Prom...you heard that right!
LOCATION: San Francisco
HOURS: full time, exempt (salaried)
REPORTS TO: Sr. Director of Formulation
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
Back to top