Environmental Health \u0026 Safety Manager
- Chicago, IL
We are People Against Dirty, a growing house of brands that includes method, ecover, babyganics, and coming soon...mrs. meyers clean day. We've always done things differently – we’re fearless thinkers, mad scientists and adventurous designers who believe that making soap leads to brave ideas, bold inventions and beautiful bubbles. We started small, but we’ve got big plans to make the world a cleaner, greener, more colorful place. And we invite everyone to join us as we pioneer a future where doing business is doing good for all.
Based in Chicago and reporting to the Director of EHS and Training, this individual is responsible for the implementation and maintenance of an effective Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) program for our Southside Soapbox manufacturing facility. In support of our mission to do good for the planet, this role will also support the site’s reduction of its environmental footprint with the ambition to be restorative.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The EHS Manager will:
- Implement and maintain all EHS programs, policies and procedures necessary for compliance with applicable regulatory requirements, including all reporting obligations, supporting documentation and auditing activity.
- Foster a positive safety culture within the Soapbox, engaging cross-functional leaders and operators to drive ownership of safety at all levels of the organization. Influence plant management team to be proactive in driving a positive safety culture and behaviors in all processes and operations in the plant and finished goods warehouse, striving to create a safety environment where safety concerns and improvements are driven from the end-user up through the organization
- Execute the site’s greenkeeping initiatives pertaining to the reduction of waste, water and carbon, including maintaining our Zero Waste certification and driving the plant’s overall recycling and waste avoidance efforts
- Monitor and maintain up-to-date knowledge of EHS requirements applicable to the company’s operations, including assessment of the applicability and impact of new requirements, and communicate changes as required.
- Collaborate on team projects to solve problems and improve processes and procedures that enhance the safety of the workplace and the health of all employees
- Maintain the site management emergency response plan and emergency response teams and training program, including first aid, fire, spill team and hazardous material teams. Develop and mentor emergency response team members and ensure teams are provided all necessary training
- Ensure that all environmental permits remain up to date and compliant
- Work reception once in a while
We are not joking. Everyone in the office takes a spin as receptionist. Costumes welcome.
- 5-7 years of business experience (consumer packaged goods preferred in a safety, health and environmental role)
- Manufacturing or production experience with knowledge of OSHA (occupational safety and health administration) standards, or other environmental regulations
- Proven ability to effectively work on a team
- Excellent communication / collaboration / customer service skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work within tight timeframes and deadlines
- Strong interpersonal communication, organization and experience leading teams
- Strong ‘hands on’ approach
- Independent and strong thought leadership
- Knowledge of 5S, GMPs, LEAN, TPM and other operational processes
- PowerPoint, Word, Excel and web proficiency
- Proactive approach and work ethic appropriate for
- a fast-paced, team-oriented, growing company
- Sense of humor and a positive outlook!
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety and Health, Safety Management, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Engineering; Environmental Safety; Industrial Hygiene or related technical field
PAD PERKS:Our values are at the heart of everything we do.
Here are a few of the ways weCare like a Motherfor every person against dirty:
- Rockstar health insurance benefits package
- Jollydays: competitive vacation bundle
- Generous retirement match + pre-tax savings options
- 3 Care Days (a.k.a. Volunteer Time-Off) a year, to be a force for good
- Global Ping Pong Tournament + Prom...you heard that right-- let's dance
HOURS: full time, exempt
REPORTS TO: Sr. Director EHS & Training
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Back to top