Director of Copy
We are people against dirty (PAD), and we’ve always done things differently. We are fearless thinkers, mad scientists and adventurous designers who believe that making soap leads to brave ideas, bold inventions and beautiful bubbles.
We are small, but we have big plans to make the world a cleaner, greener, more colorful place. And we invite everyone to join us as we pioneer a future where doing business is doing good for all.
Based in San Francisco, we are currently seeking adirector of copy (who moonlights as a rock star) to join the Brand Experience (BE) team roster on a full-time basis. If you know method® (and it helps if you do), you know that we are known for our voice—not only what we say, but also where we say it. We revel in the non sequitur and bask in the tangential. And we don’t hide it. We put it on the back of our glass cleaner, for instance. So it should probably go without saying that you will be both a mad creative mind, as well as a steady hand. Cheekiness is an art and we hope that you’re a master.
Beyond that, a stellar attitude is a must. You should be able to take the lead as well as roll-up your sleeves. This is a lean team and we take great pride in working collaboratively. A graceful working style as well as strong, yet diplomatic, communicative skills are pivotal. You will be partnering with many different functions within the company to fine-tune your message, so the way that you represent the BE team (and the smaller Creative Team) is very important.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Lead creative messaging strategy, copy development + tone for the method and Ecover
- Manage in-house and freelance copywriters
- Maintain and evolve the method® and Ecover® brand voices to establish how our values and personality live and breathe as we connect to our consumers
- Partner with cross-functional teams across multiple consumer touchpoints—packaging, web, e-comm, e-mails, ISM and everything in between
- Concept short- and long-term stories and campaigns with the Brand Experience team
- Oversee all copy-related activities and processes, including working with Legal and Regulatory on product claims and final proofreading/copy approvals
- Work reception once a month
we are not joking. at people against dirty, everyone in the San Francisco office takes a spin as receptionist. costumes welcome.
- 7-10 years experience writing for brands and managing teams
- Previous packaged goods/CPG experience (agency or client-side) a huge plus
- Professional proofreading and copy editing experience a plus
- Possess a smart, witty, irreverent writing style (shown in portfolio)
- Ability to switch voices with ease (we have two brands)
- A strong, positive and clear communicator—ability to articulate ideas and nuance
- The talent to tell a story and empower a team to do the same
- A knack for multi-tasking and adapting a brand voice to a specific channel
- Ability to think analytically and strategically (it’s not just about the words, it’s about the thinking behind them, too)
- Ability to work with people across multiple categories and functional areas
- Ability to own multiple projects simultaneously—driving clarity from start to finish
- Must be extremely organized and able to write quickly without sacrificing creativity
- Ability to anticipate needs, innovate and flourish in a high volume, fast-paced environment
- A great attitude and positive outlook
- Proficient with Word, WordPress, Power Point, Excel, Adobe Creative Suite, Slack
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Our values are at the heart of everything we do. Here are a few of the ways weCare like a Motherfor every person against dirty:
- Rockstar health insurance benefits package
- Competitive vacation bundle + 3 Care Days (a.k.a. Volunteer Time-Off) a year
- Generous retirement match + pre-tax savings options
- Global Ping Pong Tournament + Prom...you heard that right!
LOCATION: San Francisco
HOURS: full time, exempt (salaried)
REPORTS TO: VP, Global Creative Director
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
Meet Some of Method's Employees
Geetha monitors Method’s production operations and performs lab testing on its products. She creates specially formulated, non-toxic people and pet-friendly cleaning products that fight dirty the healthy way.
Back to top