We are people against dirty® (PAD), and we’ve always done things differently. We are fearless thinkers, mad scientists and adventurous designers who believe that making soap leads to brave ideas, bold inventions and beautiful bubbles.
We are small, but we have big plans to make the world a cleaner, greener, more colorful place. And we invite everyone to join us as we pioneer a future where doing business is doing good for all.
The design director is responsible for the development, management and delivery of effective and compelling design systems and solutions across critical touch points, media and channels for PAD brands and our expanding portfolio.S(he) will demonstrate superior ability to inspire, lead & manage an internal design team, champion design and collaborate with cross-disciplinary colleagues to drive quality design experiences & solutions across brand touch-points – including identity, packaging and marketing/retail communications. A key objective of this role is to establish and ensure design excellence – strategic and operational - in brand development across a growing portfolio.This means planning, organizing, and implementing consistent design principles and production processes to ensure that designs meets all brand, consumer and production guardrails and objectives.
Strategic Design Leadership:
- Leads design strategies, optimizes design systems and elevates related activations for cohesive branded experiences – including packaging, marketing/retail, events, etc.
- Successfully and actively leads, manages, develops and mentors the design team.
- As a system thinker, develops and adapts strategies and/or processes to meet changing market and competitive conditions while considering brand/business impact.
Design Project Management:
- Responsible for collaborating and partnering across disciplines within PAD to ensure design assets are developed and delivered with quality, value, and on-time.
- Inspires, mentors and leads internal design resources from idea phase to commercialization.Ensures team members & stakeholders understand his/her role and responsibilities throughout the creative process.
- Regularly reviews the status of projects with appropriate leadership to verify that Brand, Category and Company objectives & expectations are met.
Brand Design Systems Development:
- Effectively develops and delivers visual identity systems, solutions and guidelines/toolkits that cut across brand, product, packaging, marketing retail and advertising.
- Generates creative design proposals (visions, scenarios, concepts) in order to visualize the desired output and share it with internal and external team members.
- Develops and implements design/production principles (in collaboration with Design Production + Creative Operations Director ) for PAD design that can be leveraged.
- Responsible for driving the final design recommendations, decisions and design approval to enable artwork execution / production phases.
- Accountable for development of guidelines/toolkits/guardrails that allow for adjustments in strategies and/or processes to meet changing market and competitive conditions while considering the impacts on the business
Design R&D and Innovation:
- Collaborates with design innovation colleagues to identify design programs/solutions that generate critical business value.
- Work reception once a month
we are not joking. at people against dirty, everyone in the San Francisco office takes a spin as receptionist. costumes welcome.
- 10+ years of deep strategic brand design and design systems experience, preferably in a multi-branded and matrixed environment or working as consultant from a design firm for such organizations. CPG experience a plus.
- Extraordinary design aesthetic and expertise
- Experience with effectively envisioning and addressing idea/concept feasibility
- Rich knowledge and understanding of consumer lifestyle and brand behavior, as well as mobile to mortar retail, In-store/online and In-category dynamics, and how those insights inform design
- An expert in Adobe Creative Suite; Illustrator, Photoshop, In-design
- An inspired and effective people leader & manager
- Collaborative, flexible and tenacious; able to persevere to realize goals
- Can effectively influence across all levels in the organization; across regions and functions; can get things done through formal and informal channels
- Effectively communicates (verbally and written) with stakeholders across all levels and disciplines
- Track record of building support for strategic efforts across business units through identification of market trends, consumer and consumer behavior.
- Superior project management and design management skills with strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to multi-task, work in ambiguous and dynamic work environment; is comfortable with risk and uncertainty
PAD PERKS:Our values are at the heart of everything we do. Here are a few of the ways weCare like a Motherfor every person against dirty:
- Rockstar health insurance benefits package
- Competitive vacation bundle + 3 Care Days (a.k.a. Volunteer Time-Off) a year
- Generous retirement match + pre-tax savings options
- Global Ping Pong Tournament + Prom...you heard that right!
LOCATION: San Francisco
HOURS: full time, exempt (salaried)
REPORTS TO: VP Global Creative Director
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
Back to top