THE PEOPLE AGAINST DIRTY STORY
method sold its first product on February 28th, 2001 - we mark this as the day we became people against dirty®. But why did two twenty-something guys start a cleaning product company? Well, we're not exactly big fans of cleaning, but we are passionate about cleaning up a dirty business. We recognized that household cleaning, which includes laundry and hand wash, was a massive category in desperate need of a little disruption.
We also had questions. Why do we pollute when we clean? Why do we use poison to make our homes healthier? And why do cleaners have to be so ugly that you hide them away or smell so bad that you hold your breath? The answer: we can do better.
Leveraging two major cultural shifts in health + wellness and life styling of the home, we disrupted every aspect of the category and grew method into a green cleaning leader. Along the way, we hit #7 on the Inc. 500 list, were named the #16th most innovative company in the world by Fast Company in 2008 and became PETA persons of the year for developing the first vegan laundry products.
method products can be found in Target, Lowe's, Safeway, Whole Foods and most grocers nationwide, along with growing distribution in the UK, France, China, Japan and Australia. And the party is only getting started.
In 2012, method merged with Belgian green cleaning giant Ecover, and together became the world's largest green cleaning company. Our two brands are committed to inspiring generations of happy, healthy homes by making non-toxic products that work—for you and the planet. And we've built a LEED-Platinum certified manufacturing plant to prove it, the first of its kind in our industry. We even formalized the name of our joint enterprise: People Against Dirty (PAD) Manufacturing. Of course, this is more than a company name, it is one of our founding principles. By pioneering a cleaner clean, we believe we can make a difference.
That's why our work environment is creative, brand-savvy, entrepreneurial, fast-paced, solutions-focused, irreverent but disciplined, team-oriented and fun. Piqued your curiosity? Keep reading.
Based in San Francisco and reporting to the VP of Finance North America, the Controller will first and foremost be a great leader to our internal team of eight accountants. Other key accountabilities include maintaining solid internal controls, delivering the close in 5 days, partnering with colleagues to manage the business and drive insights from past performance, safeguarding assets, overseeing tax/audit partners, managing working capital and assessing people and systems needs in order to build the foundation for future growth. Besides being responsible for North America accounting, the Controller will also the oversee global consolidated financial reporting and global audit; in this capacity he or she will have a dotted line to the Global CFO.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- People leadership: provide ongoing coaching and development to the staff; create an inspiring vision for the accounting team as the company enters its next chapter of growth; drive speed and accuracy to ensure there's plenty of time for high-value work on forward-looking decision support
- Financial reporting: lead month-end and year-end close process; perform reviews to ensure accuracy and compliance with GAAP; publish timely financial statements including bank reporting; analyze variances from plan
- Play a leading role in hitting the plan and quarterly forecasts: prepare + present monthly results versus financial forecast to ensure leadership is aligned on key risks + upsides as we seek to land the current and future quarter on plan. Partner with FP&A to deliver quarterly forecasts
- Maintain internal controls: enforce proper authorization and accurate recording of all transactions; study and map business processes for A/P, A/R, payroll, cost changes, etc., and look for ways to streamline; safeguard all assets (cash, investments, fixed assets, etc.) and oversee tracking and recording of intellectual property and fixed assets
- Manage working capital: drive improvements in the areas of credit/collections, trade spend oversight, vendor and customer terms, policies, etc. Ensure annual and cycle physical inventories are completed
- Treasury: oversee North America cash and banking operations; maintain excellent relationship with our bank
- Tax and audit oversight: year end-audit, periodic bank audits and tax reporting with outside CPAs
- Global consolidations, audit, and special projects: manage the global consolidations manager and oversee monthly reporting to the global CFO + CEO, monthly/quarterly submissions to our shareholder group finance team, and intercompany relationships across our legal entity structure
- Systems/ERP: be a super-user and lead the implementation of expanded data mining and reporting capabilities. Serve as the lead on any system changes that require interdepartmental coordination
- Work reception once a month*
*we are not joking. at People Against Dirty, everyone in San Francisco takes a spin as receptionist. costumes welcome.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced Controller who loves the numbers but can also plug into a committed, passionate team of accountants that believes in our mission to inspire a happy, healthy home revolution. Experienced and ready to take that next step with a growth company, the Controller must be willing to be a "player-coach" with strong fundamental skills and an ability to communicate a vision for the department and take the business to a higher level. This individual should be a strong leader who can successfully inspire his/her team to try new things as we prepare the company and the department for the next stage of growth.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- CPA licensed in California with public accounting experience
- International accounting and intercompany/consolidations experience a major plus, especially FRS 102 (UK GAAP)
- 10+ years of recent financial accounting experience with a retail, manufacturing, or consumer products company
- At least 2 years' experience as a Controller or Assistant Controller in a company with annual revenues of at least $100MM
- Experience operating in a high-end accounting/MRP/ERP system within a manufacturing company required. SAP experience a plus
- 5+ years experience managing people
- Strong leadership and supervisory experience
- Character, sense of humor and work ethic appropriate for a fast-paced, team-oriented, growth company
LOCATION: San Francisco
HOURS: Full-time, Exempt (salaried)
REPORTS TO: VP of Finance, North America
Please go tohttp://methodhome.snaphire.comto apply.
Meet Some of Method's Employees
Arts & Craft Designer
Mia creates the engaging marketing campaigns, artistic product packaging, and colorful designs that define Method's brand, spreading the company's healthy cleaning message in a fun way.
Back to top