Metabiota is seeking an exceptional Quantitative Econometrician to add to the Economics & Actuarial team within its Data Science department. You will be part of the team responsible for developing models to estimate financial losses and economic impacts of infectious diseases. Your work will have direct public health and business implications, and will help to conceptualize and shape risk transfer solutions and analytical tools.
Who We Are and What We Do
Metabiota is the pioneer in comprehensive risk analytics that help to protect global health. We make the world more resilient to epidemics. Built on a strong foundation of scientific expertise, including a worldwide network of on-the-ground experts, Metabiota delivers actionable, data-driven analytics to help countries and corporations mitigate complex health, defense and preparedness issues. With a strategic global presence and sustained partnerships, Metabiota’s agile approach helps identify, analyze and transfer the risk associated with biological threats. We are the first mover in a massively underserved market for quantifying epidemic risk. The company’s international footprint includes operations and offices in the United States, Canada, Sierra Leone, Cameroon, Laos and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. For more information, visit http://www.metabiota.com.
Your Profile – Who You Are
You are an energetic, outside the box thinker. The trickier the problem, the more excited you are. You crave to innovate, transform, and build. You are an expert in statistical computing. You crave to apply your skills towards solving real world problems.
- Report to the Head of Data Science and collaborate with team members in Data Science, Product Development, and Engineering
- Work with and develop large-scale simulation models to estimate disease outbreak response costs, financial losses, and economic impacts from epidemics and pandemics
- Research, evaluate, and interpret cost data, insurance claims, and economic data related to infectious disease outbreaks
- Become knowledgeable in infectious disease modeling and catastrophe modeling
- Ensure the accuracy, reproducibility, and validity of analyses and models by following appropriate work practices and procedures
- Explain methodologies and provide interpretation of results to team members
- Create external-facing reports of work and present to internal and external stakeholders and at industry events and conferences
Specifically, you have...
- B.A./B.S. (M.S. preferred) in econometrics, economics, or related field with 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Strong proficiency in statistical computing in R and/or Python required, experience with spatial data manipulation and big data technologies a plus
- Direct, hands-on experience developing and working with economic and financial models
- Experience cleaning, analyzing and presenting economic and financial data
- Ability to work in a fast paced, agile development environment
- Self motivated and able to work independently with minimal direct supervision
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Competitive salary and early stage equity
- Employer-paid medical, dental & vision benefits
- Excellent 401K Match
- Relocation: None
- Visa Sponsorship: None
Metabiota is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.
Meet Some of Metabiota's Employees
Platform Infrastructure Team Leader
As a team leader, Tess is responsible for creating and maintaining a solid, scalable, and robust infrastructure that powers the entire company and makes it easy for other teams to build upon.
Back to top