Sr. Specialist, Automation Engineer
- Durham, NC
Our Manufacturing Operations teams are the people that make our products. We work in the manufacturing plants with a "Safety First, Quality Always" mindset striving for continuous improvement. We work in the local plant connected to our global manufacturing network to ensure the highest quality of raw materials, intermediates and finished products.
The Senior Specialist, is a member of the Focus Factory Automation team responsible for the assigned process control systems in support of manufacturing operations located in Durham, NC.
This Individual will provide leadership as the senior automation engineer for an aseptic manufacturing facility. Responsible for problem resolution, implementation of process control, data collection techniques, and troubleshooting in compliance with SDLC, GMP, safety, and environmental regulations. Actively support, participate and embrace an empowered team culture including significant interaction with manufacturing, quality and engineering groups. Supports a large spectrum of sophisticated automated systems within Manufacturing Operations; providing multiple opportunities to learn new automation technologies and make a positive impact. Provides direct support to Automation Lead including leading cross functional teams and providing direct guidance to the Automation team. Also provides technical coverage on automated systems.
Primary Activities include, but are not limited to:
- Understands and supports all Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), safety, and environmental regulations. Review and approve automation documents, preventive maintenance, and SOPs to ensure compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices and safety.
- Leads investigations of automation incidents and problems to prevent recurrence including the development and implementation of corrective actions.
- Evaluates automated and information technology systems, and develops strategies to optimize and ensure quality and stability of automation systems through future expansion, replacement, or upgrade.
- Assists in the Automation Lead in the training, development, motivation, and assignments for employees and contractors.
- Coordinates projects with staff group for timely implementation.
- Uses technical knowledge to assure the efficient operation of variety of automated processing and information technology systems. Leads in installing and placing new equipment into operations. Develops solutions for automation problems.
- Participates in audits and training programs in the area of responsibility.
- Project coordination leadership and implementation of troubleshooting activities and change control.
- Initiate and lead collaboration within the Operations, Quality and Technical organizations to resolve complex problems.
- On-floor support of manufacturing activities.
- Identify and implement process/equipment improvements and manufacturing efficiencies.
- Serves as liaison with corporate and divisional automation and IT groups.
Position Qualifications :
Education Minimum Requirement:
- B.S., B.A., or greater preferably in Engineering, Science, or Information Technology
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 5 yrs of experience in process automation or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 yrs of aseptic processing/sterile manufacturing experience.
- Emerson DeltaV, PLC, computer validation and systems life-cycle development methodology experience required.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience working with Information Technology teams.
- Experience with regulatory audits and working knowledge of data integrity principles.
- Understanding of Lean Manufacturing /Six Sigma methodology.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills.
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is committed to be the most trusted supplier of bio-pharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create an interdependent global manufacturing network that's committed to delivering a high quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as "Merck" in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as "MSD" in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world's biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
1st - Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Back to top