SR. Principal Scientist - GpGx Neuroscience Genetics Lead
- Boston, MA
Our company is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and consumer health products, as well as animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
We are currently recruiting for a key individual to contribute to our company's human genetics effort. This person will perform both a critical strategic role, as well as hands-on role, in overseeing the scientific direction of programs involving neurogenetics for target identification and validation.
This Boston/Cambridge, MA based position will report to the Head of Early Discovery Genetics (EDG) within the Department of Genetics and Pharmacogenomics. The mission for EDG group is to identify Human Genetic targets to impact across multiple-disease areas, including Neuroscience, Cardiometabolic and Immunology. The qualified individual will sit on a high-performing and dynamic Early Discovery Genetics leadership team to develop strategies and execute on identifying high-valued Genetics Targets. The individual will be a recognized as expert in the field of Neuroscience Genetics from either the discovery/quantitative perspective and/or the web lab functional genomics perspective (with an emphasis on human genetics of complex traits). The candidate should have a strong understanding of discovery genetics and translating that into potential targets for drug discovery in Neuroscience. He/she will be expected to operate in a highly collaborative environment, partnering with peers within the department as well scientists from therapeutic areas, pharmacology, chemistry and translational pharmacology and across various sites located globally. Furthermore, this position will likely require interactions with external partners, including leaders in academia as well as other Pharma/biotech companies.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead a nimble group of Scientists responsible for applying the tools of human genetics, bioinformatics and functional genomics to target identification and validation in neurosciences.
- Participating as part of leadership team in developing and driving the strategy to identify and prioritize targets entering the early pipeline across different therapeutic areas.
- GpGx lead for Neuroscience is to provide genetics expertise to disease area biologists and participate in strategic meetings for Neuroscience discovery efforts
- Engaging with internal peers in diverse areas - informatics, pharmacology, chemistry, therapeutic area biology, translational pharmacology - to identify opportunities for drug development based on human genetic discoveries.
- Integrate diverse 'omics / biological datasets with human genetic data to identify novel targets in disease-relevant pathways for drug development that could be leveraged across multiple therapeutic areas and indications.
- Collaborating across functional areas and in a matrixed environment to develop integrated research plans, optimize resource allocation, and maximize efficiencies to best execute on programs.
- Ability to clearly communicate scientific strategy and study results to wider network within the company including project teams and senior management as well as to the external scientific community.
- Explore and identify new external collaborations with academia and industry partners to leverage tools to exploit human genetics/genomics in to discover new drug targets.
- MD or PhD required
- Candidate should have 6+ years of experience in biotech/pharmaceutical setting leveraging human genetic and associated o-mics for drug discovery.
- Demonstrated leadership skills. Proven ability to create and work within high performance teams and/or matrix organization, strong influencing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research individually and collaboratively and prioritize work against departmental and company goals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, ability to establish and maintain productive cross-site and high caliber external collaborations.
- Proficiency to critically evaluate scientific and therapeutic proposals and adopt novel technologies to facilitate groundbreaking research.
- Proven track record in change management including ability to eliminate obstacles/barriers in order to implement change.
- Ability to create partnerships with key stakeholders.
- 10-20% Travel Required
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Back to top