Senior Scientist, Cardiometabolic Geneticist
- Boston, MA
Our Research Scientists are our Inventors. We identify and target steps in disease mechanisms or pathways that could be inhibited or enhanced. Our goal is to isolate a compound that is effective against a disease target. Using innovative thinking, state-of-the-art facilities and robust scientific methodology we collaborate to discover the next medical breakthrough.
Our company is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and consumer health products, as well as animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us. Our company is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. To this end, our company is intentionally at the forefront of applying genetics, genomics, and biological data science to advance breakthrough science and drug development across therapeutic areas.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Genetics and Pharmacogenomics (GpGx) department at our research laboratory is currently seeking a senior scientist with strong expertise in human genetics for Cardiometabolic disease at the Boston site. Our mission in the Early Discovery Genetics (EDG) group within GpGx is to identify and functionally validate novel targets anchored in human genetics that will enter our company's drug discovery pipeline for therapeutic intervention. The successful candidate will be team-oriented, with the ability to effectively communicate and thrive in an inclusionary, integrated, and multidisciplinary work environment. The Senior Scientist will report into Cardiometabolic Genetics Lead within EDG and be responsible for the following:
- Integrate data from large human genetic datasets, including GWAS, RVAS, eQTL/pQTL studies, and Mendelian genetics, to identify potential therapeutic targets for Cardiometabolic disease areas.
- Collaborate closely with our Cardiometabolic Disease organization, statistical genetics colleagues and external partners to conceptualize, execute and apply genetics and genomics research for target identification.
- Formulate functional validation studies of genetics targets in collaboration with experimental scientists in GpGx-EDG, Cardiometabolic colleagues, pharmacologists, chemists and external partners for validation of the genetics targets for early discovery pipeline.
- Provide genetics expertise to biologists and leadership in cardiometabolic disease with ability to communicate results, conclusions and application of genetics to impact the pipeline
- Participate in large academic/industry partnerships and leverage data from large biobanks (including FINNGEN, UK Biobank), as well as explore and identify new external collaborations with academia and industry partners to leverage tools to exploit human genetics/genomics in to discover new drug targets.
- Spearhead both internal and peer-reviewed publications and presentations.
- PhD or MD/PhD with 3+ years of postdoctoral experience in genetics, cardiometabolic diseases or related fields.
- Proven track record and understanding of human genetics in disease areas such as Liver, Heart Failure, Fibrosis, Immuno-metabolic and Eye diseases to identify potential therapeutic targets.
- Extensive experience in analyzing large-scale genetic datasets as well as integrating genomics, epigenomics and proteomics data to generate causal gene hypotheses with strong bioinformatics, statistics and data management background.
- Strong understanding of clinical/pathobiology functional readouts in diseases for identifying translatable targets based on human genetics.
- Experience in translating genetics findings into functional assays to provide insight into biological mechanism.
- Strong communication, collaboration, and leadership skills including ability to distill and communicate complex genetic/genomic concepts to scientists from diverse disciplines.
- ~5% travel
- Experience with integration diverse high-throughput data types, as well as with big data architecture and visualization.
The geographic location of this position is in Boston MA.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Back to top