Principal Scientist Translational Pharmacology, Neuroscience
- Spring House, PA
Our company, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where our company has codified its legacy for over a century. Our company's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Our company is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Our Research Division is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take our company's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Scientist (Director) in Translational Pharmacology to be based in the US (PA or NJ).
Translational Pharmacology at our Research Division is responsible for early clinical development of novel therapeutics, working in close collaboration with Discovery Sciences and late stage Clinical Research. We work with all therapeutic areas within our Research Division. For our efforts supporting the neuroscience drug development pipeline, our closest collaborations are with groups based in West Point PA, Boston MA, and London UK. We are seeking a highly qualified individual for a position in our group. The preferred candidate will have expertise in Neuroscience/Neurology, but candidates with a strong background in basic and clinical translational research and desire to work collaboratively across different therapeutic areas are also sought.
Translational Pharmacology is specifically responsible for:
- Contributing to the identification of novel targets by partnering with discovery research teams to bring a clinical perspective into the earliest stages of target identification and validation, and executing clinical studies to evaluate the relevance of potential targets to human disease in order to justify investment in full development, that can be bridged into full development
- Development of biomarker strategies through cross-functional teams that provide line-of-sight from First-in-Human studies through clinical Proof-of-Concept. This includes Experimental Medicine studies to establish and/or validate biomarker platforms.
- Development and execution of the early clinical development strategy for novel therapy programs from Preclinical Candidate approval through clinical Proof-of-Concept (Phase 2) Development and execution of clinical pharmacology strategies supporting late stage development programs from Proof-of-Concept (Phase 2) through worldwide marketing application.
Success depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, creativity, skill, diversity and teamwork of the people in the group. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of the global team, you will collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues in Translational Pharmacology, as well as Discovery Sciences and late stage Clinical Research while developing and expanding your career.
Individual will report directly to Neuroscience Therapeutic Lead of Translational Pharmacology.
Primary responsibilities for the Principal Scientist include the following:
- Key member of an early development team, providing leadership in designing and executing early clinical development strategy
- Development and execution of early clinical strategy for novel therapeutics including authoring initial clinical and biomarker plans for Lead Optimization programs, early clinical development plans for Preclinical Candidate molecules, and clinical pharmacology studies for programs in Phases I through IV of development.
- Development and execution of studies to validate clinical platforms utilizing established and novel biomarkers, including imaging, electrophysiological and behavioral responses to interrogate biological activity in humans.
- Provide clinical expertise for identification and validation of novel targets, including the design of preclinical and/or clinical pharmacology experiments to validate targets and/or pathways
- Safe and timely execution of Phase I studies; close collaboration with internal and external clinical study support staff and scientists (including discovery research, biostatistics, drug metabolism, modeling and simulation, regulatory affairs, and global clinical trials operations)
- Provide clinical pharmacology support for programs through the worldwide marketing application filing including supportive registration documents and presentations
- Provide clear, timely communication and interpretation of study results to therapeutic area governance, functional area experts and development review committees.
- Contribute to assessment of internal and external opportunities identified by Business Development and Licensing
- Interface broadly with key functions including Discovery Sciences, Preclinical Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Toxicology, Translational Biomarkers, Translational Pharmacology Operations, Translational Pharmacology-EU, Drug Metabolism/Modeling & Simulation, Regulatory Affairs, and late stage Clinical Research throughout sites in the USA, UK and Belgium.
- MD or MD/PhD; or
- PhD/PharmD; at least 10 years of drug development experience to include preclinical pharmacology, biomarker validation and development, and team management
- Proven track record in clinical medicine or clinical research, and background in biomedical research.
- Demonstrated record of scientific scholarship and achievement. Neuroscience expertise preferred, but a track record of excellence and a willingness to work collaboratively across different therapeutic areas with an emphasis on neuroscience drug development will be considered.
- Strong interpersonal, writing and presentation skills, as well as the ability to function in a team environment are essential.
- Board Certification or Eligibility (MD and MD/PhD) preferred
- Prior specific experience in clinical research and prior publication preferably with experience in the area of basic, translational research and experience with early clinical development and patient care
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Back to top