Principal Scientist, Target Discovery Analytics
- Boston, MA
Our Research Scientists are our Inventors. We identify and target steps in disease mechanisms or pathways that could be inhibited or enhanced. Our goal is to isolate a compound that is effective against a disease target. Using innovative thinking, state-of-the-art facilities and robust scientific methodology we collaborate to discover the next medical breakthrough.
We are recruiting a Principal Scientist to join the Oncology Genomics and Analytics (OGA) team, helping to advance our Company's Discovery Oncology portfolio. This position will leverage our Company's deep collection of clinical genomic and functional genomic data, along with cutting-edge techniques for mining high-dimensional, multi-modal data sets, to help discover and validate oncology and immuno-oncology (I/O) targets.
The Principal Scientist will build a strategically-focused group, and will partner in shaping the role and direction of genomics and data science across our Company's Oncology/IO portfolio. Based in Boston, MA, the Principal Scientist will operate in a highly collaborative environment, partnering with peers on site, at our Company's other locations, and in the broader scientific community. Travel of up to 10% may be required.
In This Exciting Role, You Will:
- Mentor outstanding bioinformatics scientists responsible for rigorous analysis of genomic data
- Integrate large-scale genetic/genomic/functional genomic data sets, including exciting and unique proprietary data, to identify druggable vulnerabilities in cancer pathways and in tumor-immune interactions.
- Expand our Company's capabilities in machine learning and artificial intelligence for the analysis of high-dimensional biological data
- Leverage existing and develop new external collaborations with academia and industry partners
- Engage with internal peers in diverse areas - oncology biology, immunology, IT, pharmacology, chemistry, chemical biology, biologics
- Clearly communicate results to colleagues on target discovery teams, our Company's computational biology community and scientific community more broadly, and the external scientific community through internal documents, presentations, and publications in leading journals
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Ph.D. or M.D., plus a minimum of 7 years' (post-degree) experience conducting cutting-edge research in computational biology or a relevant related area of data science
Required Experience and Skills:
- Fluency in cancer genetics and/or tumor immunology
- Expertise in fundamental approaches to genomic data analysis
- Familiarity with machine learning approaches to the analysis of high-dimensional biology data
- Ability to write analysis code (preferably in R), script (preferably in Python) and to implement best practices for data analysis
- Strong ability to work and influence in complex organizations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain productive cross-site and high caliber external collaborations.
- Ability to create partnerships with key stakeholders
Preferred Experience And Skills:
- Experience working in collaborative target discovery teams
- Familiarity with drug discovery across multiple modalities (e.g., small molecule, biologic, cell-based therapy)
- Experience hiring and mentoring top talent
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Back to top