Principal Scientist , (Director, Epidemiology) - Vaccines
- Spring House, PA
Under the general direction of a Director or Executive Director, Epidemiology, the Principal Scientist, Epidemiology (Director), has responsibility for the design, placement, conduct, analysis, and reporting of pharmacoepidemiologic research studies on assigned company products and for providing consultation on epidemiologic issues, as needed.
Key responsibilities include and are not limited to the following:
- Has overall responsibility for worldwide pharmacoepidemiologic planning and study recommendations for assigned company products. The Pharmacoepidemiology Department supports all drugs, vaccines, and biologics in all therapeutic areas. The primary focus of this position is infectious diseases (ID) and vaccines. Although staff are expected to develop primary subject matter expertise in one or more therapeutic areas, staff may receive assignments in any therapeutic area depending on need.
- Has lead responsibility for interaction with risk management subteams, value evidence subteams, clinical/regulatory subteams, and other areas of our Research Division on epidemiologic matters related to product safety and risk management, post-marketing safety and effectiveness studies, regulatory activities, clinical study design, efficacy and safety endpoint qualification/standardization for clinical trials, and biomarkers/molecular epidemiology/genetic epidemiology.
- Has responsibility for the design, conduct, and analysis of epidemiologic research studies on assigned company products worldwide.
- Provides scientific oversight and mentorship to more junior Epidemiology staff.
- Presents epidemiologic research plans and results to internal review and governance committees; to external agencies and health authorities such as FDA, EMA, CDC, and WHO; and at scientific conferences.
- Maintains close working relationships with colleagues in Clinical Safety and Risk Management, Clinical Research, Regulatory, Outcomes Research, Health Economics, Medical Affairs and Commercial. Assists them in areas where knowledge of epidemiology is relevant.
- Contributes to our company's prestige by maintaining recognition as an expert in his/her field; may publish independent scientific research in leading journals, participate in and present at scientific organizations and meetings, and serve as a peer reviewer for scientific journals.
- May hold academic appointments, teach graduate courses, and supervise Ph.D. dissertations and post-doctoral fellows.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Required: MA/MS in Epidemiology with (7) years of relevant work experience
- Highly Preferred: PhD in Epidemiology
- Preferred: MD with additional research training
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of (5) years of relevant work experience
- Extensive experience in the successful direction of large Epidemiologic projects; broad knowledge and experience in the application of Epidemiologic approaches to problems in the Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology industry; and record of research publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Creative problem-solving ability and excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- 5% Travel
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Background in Infectious Diseases (ID) and Vaccines and experience in conducting ID and/or Vaccine Epidemiologic studies and activities are preferred for this position.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world's biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Back to top