Principal Scientist - Biochemical and Cellular Pharmacology
- South San Francisco, CA
Our Research Laboratories in South San Francisco is seeking a highly experienced Principal Scientist with a strong background in biochemical and cellular pharmacology to join the Quantitative Biosciences department. This person will lead by example in the laboratory through direct participation in the design, execution, and interpretation of complex in vitro studies to support drug discovery. Successful candidates are expected to provide strong scientific leadership and technical expertise, champion new initiatives, and drive innovation to enhance functional capability and productivity. He or she should possess broad experimental capabilities and a strong work ethic, have excellent communication skills, and work effectively in a highly collaborative cross-functional team environment.
- Provide biochemical and cellular pharmacology expertise to drug discovery across multiple therapeutic areas (cardiometabolic, ophthalmology, immunology and oncology)
- Develop and implement potency, selectivity, and mechanistic assays to characterize diverse targets and mechanism of actions, using sophisticated experimental methods
- Represent Quantitative Biosciences department in multi-disciplinary drug discovery project teams to provide robust scientific and technical support
- Mentor junior scientists drive scientific innovation, and champion new enabling technologies to enhance functional capability and productivity
- Collaborate extensively across the research laboratory network and with external partners to drive project progression toward key milestones
- Ph.D. in Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology or a relevant scientific discipline, with a minimum of 8 years of drug discovery experience in a biotech or pharmaceutical setting
- Broad expertise in mechanistic pharmacology and bioassay development, and strong hands-on experience with comprehensive SAR support for drug discovery
- Highly skilled in the design and execution of high-throughput biochemical and cell assays, using a wide range of modern technologies and detection methods
- Proven track record of success in leveraging and integrating complex biochemical and cell assays for compound screening, pharmacological characterization, and lead optimization
- Extensive drug discovery experiences with diverse target classes, modalities, and therapeutic areas are strongly preferred
- Good working knowledge of cardiometabolic biology and/or immune regulation is a plus
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a cross-functional team environment to advance drug discovery and achieve milestones
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are ...
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as "Merck" in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as "MSD" in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world's biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Back to top