Global Data Science- Associate Director of Data Science
- Kenilworth, NJ
Our Company is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Our Company has codified its 125-year legacy. Our Company's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Our Company's Global Commercial Human Health division partners with colleagues from across all geographies and divisions to help serve our patients and customers around the world. This position is a "hands-on" management role which is global in nature, working closely with strategy and delivery leaders across divisional and enterprise IT teams.
Our Digital team is innovating how we comprehend our patients and their needs. Working cross functionally we are inventing new ways of communicating, measuring and interacting with our customers and patients through digital channels and technologies.
The role involves working with our partners across the organization to help them create scalable and production-grade AI/ML products. You will be working with a scrum team comprising of data scientists, business analysts, data engineers, and subject matter experts to deliver well-defined projects. You will be tasked with designing and creating machine learning models and retraining systems. Often, you will have to take a model prototype built by a data scientist and work with the team to put that model in production. This will involve making the model scalable and efficient (parallelizing, using appropriate libraries, adding basic efficiencies from the code/data/architecture etc.). This can also entail building or rewriting the model from scratch. Creating a model governance architecture for retraining (upon drift) will also be your responsibility. In addition, creating the architecture/framework for performance evaluation and feedback loop will also be expected, prior to handover to ML Ops team.
Your model deployment will most likely be in the cloud, and we'll look for the appropriate experience at your end. Some reporting and visualization skills will come in handy too. You don't have to be an expert in any of these topics but need to be able to demonstrate aptitude and some experience. We will have some resources that you can leverage as needed. This role will require interfacing with executive teams so strong communication skills is a must. Experience with healthcare data is a plus. Healthcare data is sometimes unstructured and mostly in the form of text and images, so NLP and/or computer vision experience is preferred. We will look to your guidance for creating a technical roadmap for the project and exercise your leadership in executing it. Because this is a senior role, we are looking for someone with 5 years of experience in the data science/engineering space.
- Build and overlook the competency of Global Data Science. Responsible for the performance of the overall organization, sets the strategy and priorities.
- Defines the roles with required competencies that would enable the delivery of Global complex data-analytical projects.
- Select analytical techniques and model methods best to solve business problems.
- Coach and mentor junior data scientists on the optimal approach to solve a problem, ensures best practices sharing and cross the organization.
- Manage the teams functionally in the matrix setup.
- Enable delivery of data-analytics projects. Have deep knowledge of the company's supported technology; understand the whole complexity/dependencies between multiple teams, platforms (people, technologies).
- Communicate intensively with other platform/competencies to comprehend new trends and methodologies being implemented/considered within the company ecosystem.
- Understands the customer/stakeholders business needs/priorities and helps building solutions that support our business goals.
- Establish and manages the close relationship with customers/stakeholders.
- Has overview of the DS market development to be able to come up/explore new ways of delivering analytics solutions to increase their value/contribution.
- Builds "community of practice" leveraging experience from delivering complex analytics projects.
- Is tactical and develops production-grade models while thinking strategically.
- Be accountable for ensuring that the team delivers solutions with high quality standards, timeliness, compliance and excellent user experience.
- Contribute to innovative experiments, specifically to idea generation, idea incubation and/or experimentation, identifying tangible and measurable criteria.
- Travel will be required (~20%)
Education Minimum Requirements:
- MS degree in Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related quantitative field
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant delivery of complex analytical projects (industrialized, validated), minimum 2 years of relevant experience in the Healthcare industry.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in Applied Machine Learning, with at least 2 years on cloud environment (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Self-motivation, proactivity and ability to work independently with minimum direction Proven knowledge of business processes and industry/market trends within the pharmaceutical space.
- Excellent business acumen, with proven ability to understand business processes in detail - both at global and region/country levels - and translate these into user stories and detailed business requirements.
- Proven leadership and negotiation skills, along with good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, along with the ability to communicate appropriately and confidently with colleagues from different backgrounds and seniority levels.
- Excellent organizational skills, with ability to navigate a complex matrix environment and organize/prioritize work efficiently and effectively.
- Hands-on experience writing production-grade ML code.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Hands on coding experience in Python/R/Scala/Java or any other OOP; ETL using SQL/shell scripting.
- Experience in TensorFlow/Torch libraries; SageMaker, Databricks, MLflow Spark/distributed compute environment.
- Experience using cloud-based SQL & noSQL databases (Redshift, BQ, Athena, Mongo, so on).
- Experiences with project management and data analytics project delivery. Ability to communicate with business user/customer and with IT operations. Good overview of complex Data analytics solutions, ability to explain consequences to both IT and business.
Our Human Health Division maintains a "patient first, profits later" ideology. The organization is comprised of sales, marketing, market access, digital analytics and commercial professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing our medicines to our customers worldwide.
Who we are ...
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as "Merck" in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as "MSD" in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world's biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Back to top