Data Modeler - Scientific Data
- Spring House, PA
Our IT team operates as a business partner proposing ideas and innovative solutions that enable new organizational capabilities. We collaborate internationally to deliver the services and solutions that help everyone to be more productive and enable innovation.
The role will assist the Data Platform lead in Discovery, Preclinical and Early Development (DPED) IT with executing strategy for data analytics and governance. This dynamic role will work closely with multi-disciplinary teams helping to solve complex data problems while understanding and translating business needs into common data standards. The incumbent will quickly develop and maintain conceptual and logical data models along with corresponding vocabularies and ontologies where required. The ultimate product of the role is a set of new data models and data governance practices, which are adopted, accepted and implemented by drug discovery teams which are our Company's Invention engine.
While the position will be based in North America, travel to other sites may be required at times (estimated no more than 20% of the time).
- Develop project-related data models and align to our company's drug discovery reference model.
- Develop project related vocabularies and ontologies, aligning to existing company vocabularies & ontologies.
- Develop data dictionaries, aligning to existing company vocabularies & ontologies.
- Assist in defining modeling patterns, templates and best practices.
- Assist in development and maintaining a company Drug Discovery Reference Model.
- Support a culture of collaborating frequently with scientists, data scientists, data engineers, data curators and experts. The incumbent will remain intellectually curious and highly collaborative.
- Manage and maintain a centralized Data Models Repository.
- Assist with the definition and documentation of current and future governance rules, workflows and templates for data models and vocabularies.
- Assist in defining preferred tooling needed to enable data modeling workflows with internal/external teams.
- Curate legacy scientific data according to defined data standards.
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline (such as genomics, bioinformatics, genetics, biomedical engineering, biology, computational chemistry, analytical chemistry, computer science, data science, etc.)
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 2 years of relevant industry experience.
- Understanding of complex Chemistry, Pharmacology, ADME, Biologics, OMICS, Cytometry, Imaging data is required
- Understanding of drug discovery process, scientific data workflows and scientific data management tools.
- Experience developing data models and data standards. .
- Experience with biomedical ontologies. Understanding of data governance concepts.
- Experience with relational database and SQL or RDF.
- Has an Agile mindset in the approach to work. Is organized and detail-oriented.
- Analytical problem-solving skills and the ability to work with varying levels of ambiguity across multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills and the ability to interact with both technical and non-technical stakeholders and users.
- Ability to prepare for, support, facilitate workshops with vendors and internal users.
- A proven ability to work in a team of multidisciplinary scientists and IT personnel, and operate effectively in a matrix environment; team player yet able to work independently
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Familiarity with semantic web technologies and linked data.
- Experience with JIRA, Confluence or SharePoint would be a plus.
- Understanding of the Product Life Cycle of software products.
- Familiarity with agile software development processes, SDLC documentation and GxP processes.
- Familiarity with ETL and data curation tools and processes.
Our Support Functions deliver services and makes recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the experience of working at our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
1st - Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Back to top