Associate Principal Scientist, Regulatory CMC - Biologics (R4)
- Spring House, PA
Our Regulatory Affairs team brings new medical advancements to the world by facilitating communications and procedures that allow swift, organized compliance across regulatory agencies. We are an international network on the leading-edge of healthcare breakthroughs that help provide new, reliable, and compliant medical products, practices and solutions to the world.
This Associate Principal Scientist position is equivalent to an Associate Director position.
Under direction from Director/Executive Director, the Associate Principal Scientist is responsible for implementing Chemistry, Manufacturing, and Controls (CMC) regulatory strategies for our organization's biologics product franchises in accordance with domestic and international regulations and guidance. The Associate Principal Scientist is responsible for the preparation and submission of CMC sections for commercial or new biologics products. The Associate Principal Scientist will assist in the development and the implementation of internal regulatory strategies and provides mentoring and coaching to Sr. Scientist / Scientist in support of their assigned projects. The Associate Principal Scientist / Associate Director responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participation in the authorization process to prioritize submissions.
- In depth knowledge of global CMC guidelines regarding investigational new drug (IND)/biologics license applications (BLAs) or post approval changes.
- Completion of detailed, global regulatory assessments according to existing global guidelines and policies and defined timelines.
- Development and execution of detailed, global regulatory strategies for submission and approval of INDs, BLAs or post approval change documentation according to defined timelines.
- Careful planning, tracking and communicating regarding submissions and approvals to support continued product supply.
- Lead authoring of clear, concise and effective IND /clinical trial applications (CTAs), BLAs or global post approval submissions according to defined timelines.
- Collaborate with partner groups in the authoring and reviewing process to ensure compliance, scientific excellence, accuracy and completeness of submissions.
- Resolve project issues through collaboration with the team and escalation to the CMC leadership team as appropriate.
- Participation in early and late development programs, as well as departmental and cross-functional efforts to improve CMC content or processes may also be required, as needed.
Education Minimum Requirements:
- B.S. in a science, engineering, or a related field (advanced degree preferred). Fields of study include Chemical Engineering, Biology, Microbiology, Virology, Molecular Biology, or Biochemistry.
Required Experience and Skills:
- A minimum 5 years of Industrial/regulatory experience in biologics research, development and/or manufacturing.
- Prior Biologics IND, License Application (BLA) and/or post approval filing experience or 10 years subject matter expertise in biologics or vaccine CMC development or manufacturing.
- Demonstrated sound understanding of related fields (e.g., manufacturing, process development, analytical, quality assurance) and the ability to be creative and imaginative in the approach to new and diverse problem solving.
- Proven experience in critically reviewing detailed scientific information and assessing whether technical arguments are presented clearly and conclusions are adequately supported by data.
- Demonstrated superior oral and written communication skills in multicultural settings and ability to communicate complex issues in a succinct and logical manner.
- Demonstrated flexibility in responding to changing priorities or dealing with unexpected events.
- Demonstrated effective leadership, project management, communication, interpersonal and negotiating skills.
- Demonstrated ability to generate innovative solutions to complex regulatory problems and effectively work with and communicate to key stakeholders.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- At least seven (7) years of experience in support of biologics or vaccines.
- Experience with IND, BLA or post approval changes in Biologics or Vaccines.
- Preferred fields of study include Microbiology, Virology, Molecular Biology, Engineering or Biochemistry.
- Experience in biologics Regulatory CMC preferred.
- Experience in cell and gene therapy preferred.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth .
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Back to top