Associate Director, EHS Systems & Assurance
- Kenilworth, NJ
Provide management and direction to team members and direct reports as required to promote:
- New Initiatives - Provide technical management on new initiatives with a focus on investigating and implementing enterprise level Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) systems and solutions to support business priorities and/or systems that have reached their end of life. Serve as project guide or team member on projects to provide EHS subject matter expertise and systems support.
- System Maintenance & Sustainment - Provide management to the Systems & Assurance team, site EHS colleagues, corporate EHS professionals, and IT to ensure that EHS systems are maintained and enhanced to support the needs of the business related to compliance assurance, action tracking, metrics collection, data management, and EHS communication. Provide troubleshooting and report support
- Chemical Management, Hazard Communication, and Systems & Assurance Center of Excellence (COE) - Provide expert technical direction and serve as COE subject matter expert (SME) for team members, sites and global operations. Update COE standards as needed.
- Knowledge and Learning - Perform data assessments on reports and other sources of information to assess user skill gaps and develop interventions to improve user skills. Freely develop and deliver job aids and training targeted at improving data quality and system stability.
- Metrics - Serve as enterprise lead for the collection and exploration of leading and lagging Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) metrics data. Identify opportunities for improvement, reduce EHS risks and impacts, and drive management decision-making relating to allocation of resources. Communicate metrics to business.
Major Activities and Assignments:
- Direct global cross-functional sub teams accountable for implementation of new EHS systems/solutions. In addition to serving as the EHS Systems' lead, contribute to the team as an EHS SME, assist with bridging knowledge gaps between EHS SMEs and the IT solutions, and assist with bridging the gap between IT and EHS.
- Direct assigned portfolio of EHS systems projects including serving as an EHS SME, business expert and acceptance tester.
- Establish and direct a global CoP (Community of Practice) for Enablon & SAP EHS users. Drive user commitment to data quality while identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Continuously monitor and become proficient in existing and new enterprise systems to identify opportunities for enhancement and integration.
- Assess and anticipate business needs for Enablon and SAP outputs, and initiate solutions.
- Develop and manage assigned budgets to ensure expectations are met.
- Calculate monthly Divisional EHS KPIs and periodic Corporate KPIs and develop analysis of the results for Senior Leadership presentations.
- Manage project contractors.
- Monitor country level hazard communication and chemical management regulatory requirements and serve as a SME. Provide guidance to sites on existing and proposed programs.
Education Minimum Requirement
- Bachelor's degree in environmental, safety, or related technical discipline
Required Experience and Skills
- 10 year of progressive EHS experience
- Strong project management skills with direct experience managing projects with a Global level impact.
- Detailed working knowledge of hazard communication and chemical management.
- Direct experience managing or implementing elements of a site or corporate level EHS program with proficiency in the development of technical requirements, communication and training program for dissemination to site or global organization.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Teams).
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Direct experience managing a site or corporate level EHS program.
- Experience working with and implementing EHS system solutions such as Enablon or SAPEHS.
- Detailed working knowledge of business data analysis and visualization tools such as Spotfire, Qlik Sense, Power Bio Tableau.
- Strong team management skills with demonstrated ability to influence without authority.
- Team player capable of working collaboratively within a global, multi-functional team environment within and outside of the EHS organization.
- Customer focused with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated & innovative problem solver. Agile learner with a continuous improvement mindset.
- Experience in pharmaceutical or life sciences industry.
Our Support Functions deliver services and makes recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the experience of working at our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are ...
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as "Merck" in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as "MSD" in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world's biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Back to top