Vice President, Testing & Regulatory Affairs
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
Mercedes-Benz Research & Development is searching for a Vice President to lead our Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division. This position will be responsible for the coordination of Mercedes-Benz Passenger Vehicle, VAN, Smart & AMG related testing activities in the United States. This position will focus on US related operational support of the development departments both in the US and Germany. This testing support covers the passenger vehicle and VAN platforms, coordination of US-specific durability runs, US press technical support and test drives including US proving grounds coordination, conducting end customer technical car clinics, as well as support for field related quality activities. In addition this position will oversee the EPA & CARB liaison activities for light duty vehicles, working closely with the certification team in Germany, and will perform a portion of the those duties in the US. The position also has responsibility for the emission labs in Long Beach and Ann Arbor as well as the supporting vehicle workshops. This role will also be responsible for Safety, Fuels & Regulatory Affairs, and provide simulation and testing activities regarding CO2 and fuel consumption.
Fully align with the overall strategic goals and objectives of MBRDNA to ensure the company’s long term value and success. Fully support the MBRDNA CEO to this end.
Uphold the organizational corporate values and mission statement. Ensure the appropriate implementation of corporate processes and policies.
Lead the Testing and Regulatory Affairs organization by focusing on Safety, Quality, and Continuous Improvement Processes.
Manage the division budget and results.
Collaborate effectively with other divisions of MBRDNA, and other US and international Daimler entities
Manage full-time employees and the direction of external vendors. Responsibilities include adhering to the administration of company policies and procedures (in collaboration with Human Resources) by interviewing, recommending hiring, training, planning and assignment of responsibilities. Ensure a clear and efficient reporting structure.
Ensure that the two primary locations in Long Beach, CA and Ann Arbor, MI work as one team toward common goals. Spend the appropriate amount of time in each location to ensure success.
This position will be based in Long Beach, CA. Several other divisions and support functions are also located at this location. This position will provide senior management leadership to the overall location and will work closely with the other division leaders to ensure effective collaboration.
Skills & Attributes:
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and abilities:
- Excellent leadership and project management skills
- Ability to collaborate and network effectively across relevant departments within a global R&D organization
- Comprehensive knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership, and technical and efficiency process methods
- Experience working in intercultural and diverse environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Automotive Engineering, or related field, Master’s Degree preferred
- 10-15 years of relevant experience
- Extensive leadership and personnel management experience
- Extensive experience in different areas of vehicle development, including vehicle testing activities, durability runs, emission labs, simulation and testing activities, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of US regulatory agencies including certification topics, testing procedures, safety topics, and the overall rulemaking process.
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top