Strategic Business Designer
Embedded in a worldwide network, Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive as well as in Long Beach, CA where the F-CELL team brings hydrogen vehicles to the road. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor, MI and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad, CA complete the competence center. Together, all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They're inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
Here at MBRDNA, we are looking for talented, energetic, and committed individuals to join our diverse team. Our employees are the key to our success, and we support each individual in fulfilling his or her potential. We proudly continue the pioneering work initiated by founders Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz over 125 years ago.
Business Innovation Ideation team is responsible for the development of new products and services in the mobility space using human centered design principles. The strategic business designer will be the design thinking "guru" on the team, leading the ethnographic research, identification of customer insights & collaborating on the ideation process to identify new business opportunities. The ideal candidate is a flexible & creative individual who enjoys working in dynamic conditions.
- Contribute to deep trend analysis in the market.
- Plan & execute user feedback & ethnographic research to help identify customer pain points.
- Synthesize customer insights from research & analysis.
- Bring research to life with personas, customer journeys, insight opportunity framework, system maps, stories & scenarios.
- Collaborate on the strategic direction of ideation based on feedback & research.
- Facilitate the ideation sprint using design principles.
- Act as the "voice of the customer" to ensure pain points & latent needs are addressed throughout the ideation sprint.
- Produce rough prototypes of concepts with the ideation team.
Minimum Skills Required:
- Bachelor degree in design, business, or economics
- At least 2 years of work experience using the human centered design process.
- Strong communication skills.
- Flexibility to be both a leader and an individual contributor as needed.
- Track record of success in career either in a start-up, corporate or academic context.
- Passion for innovation & creating new business models.
- Working knowledge of the mobility industry.
- Experience using design thinking/human centered design process to address real world problems.
- Ability to analyze quantitative and qualitative research to generate insights.
- Flexibility in thinking to view problems through strategic, operational & organizational lenses to help create new viable business models.
- Creative approach to crafting experiments & developing rough prototypes.
- Experience crafting storylines and presenting information in a compelling way.
- Drive to put ideas in to action.
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work/life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top