Senior UX Designer
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, focus is on Powertrain and eDrive as well as in Long Beach where the F-CELL team brings hydrogen vehicles on the road. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center. Together all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They get inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
Here at MBRDNA, we are looking for talented, energetic, and committed individuals to join our diverse team. Our employees are the key to our success, and we support each individual in fulfilling his or her potential. We proudly continue the pioneering work initiated by founders Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz over 125 years ago.
“In the next ten years, there will be more innovation in the automotive industry than in the last fifty years”
Advancements in automated driving, connectivity and urban mobility are rapidly transforming the relationship between driver and vehicle. While the vehicles become more technologically capable, it is essential to design the technologies to be more personal and more human. Designers in the Advanced UX Design Division at Mercedes Benz meet the challenge of humanizing technology into a holistic experience that is both intuitive and unparalleled.
Our User Experience team embodies the fresh energy of a start up with an open office space and active cross team collaboration. Each designer is human-centered and is heavily involved in visual design and solving complex user experience problems. Though your work will be focused on certain tasks, we have the mentality that no task is too small or too large for one individual. Grow your career as we grow, contribute ideas that will get applied to our vehicles across the globe, and work for one of the largest and most luxurious brands in the industry. We work on a diverse range of material from advanced concepts, pre-development topics and full products.
As part of our UX design team, you will be expected to push the boundaries of user experience design for our products. This role requires the ability to be explorative and generative, but also to design experiences within the constraints of automotive guidelines. Qualified candidates will be experienced UX designers with a love for making complex information easily accessible, elegant, delightful and fun for our users to consume.
- Lead the design process from concept to production with a partner development team.
- Visualize conceptual designs and create new UX concepts that explore key areas of the Mercedes-Benz user journey with a primary focus on the in-car and mobile experience.
- Work as a core member of multi-disciplinary teams (internal, external, and international) to bring innovative ideas and concepts to life.
- Work closely with automotive designers, researchers and engineers to create human-centered, engaging and original designs.
- Develop and deliver product interfaces using the iterative design and development process, in partnership with other teams/groups.
- Design research and strategy, keeping abreast of social, cultural, and technological trends and developments. Creative collaboration, partner relations, and mentor others on the User Experience team.
- Implement the user experience and associated UI framework and assets on a range of products; follow through with the processes and tactics to implement the vision.
- Produce user flows, wireframes, prototypes, user interface specifications, and final visual designs.
Minimum Skills Required:
The candidate needs to provide a portfolio of work demonstrating user interface design and general graphic design skills. Your portfolio exhibits your process and the way you think, and not just the outcome. We favor working things (websites, apps, videos, and prototypes) over screenshots when assessing portfolios. It doesn’t have to be all your work, so long as you are clear about what your involvement with the project was.
- Bachelors or advanced degree in Design(or related equivalent experience)
- 3-5 years of experience in UX Design or related field
- Excellent user experience and interface design skills
- Interactive prototyping capabilities with standard tools/languages
- Understanding of hardware/software/service design challenges including mobile and tablet form factors
- 3D or motion design skills and design guidelines/style guide development a huge plus
- Advanced Design Degree (or related discipline of study)
- Experience coordinating with external vendors
- Solid project coordination and leadership skills
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work/life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top