Senior Safety Specialist
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, focus is on Powertrain and eDrive as well as in Long Beach where the F-CELL team brings hydrogen vehicles on the road. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center. Together all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They get inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
Here at MBRDNA, we are looking for talented, energetic, and committed individuals to join our diverse team. Our employees are the key to our success, and we support each individual in fulfilling his or her potential. We proudly continue the pioneering work initiated by founders Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz over 125 years ago.
The Senior Safety Specialist will be responsible for the daily administration and implementation of the Health, Safety and Environmental programs that ensure compliance with statutory requirements and promote safe and healthy working conditions at all corporate locations. The work environment will vary from office setting, research laboratories, and automotive garages. The successful candidate with report to the Manager of Corporate Business Operations and will be responsible for authoring and implementing corporate EHS policies and procedures, conduct site inspections, leading various safety programs, conduct trainings, and other safety and environmental compliance/project duties as assigned.
Key Tasks & Responsibility:
- Investigate accidents to identify causes and determine how such accidents may be prevented in the future; conduct root cause analysis as necessary
- Stay current with safety and environmental regulations and conduct routine inspections and follow-up on timely corrective actions
- Provide internal clients with recommendations for improvement and actively engage in supporting resolution of unsafe situations
- Maintain up to date SPCC Plans, and other environmentally related documents/permits from regulatory agencies, as necessary
- Coordinate "right-to-know" programs regarding hazardous chemicals and other substances. Maintain inventories of hazardous materials and hazardous wastes, using waste tracking systems to ensure that materials are handled properly
- Ensure corporate share point site is up to date and easy and clear access for employees.
- Maintain and update emergency response plans and procedures
- Track and ensure equipment are permitted and routinely maintained
Provide new-employee health and safety orientations, and develop materials for these presentations
- Develop, lead, and provide hands-on and e-training on various safety and environmental compliance topics
- Author new corporate environmental and safety policies/guidelines as needed; develop training and communication plan to roll-out these new policies/guidelines
- Be the go to safety lead for your designated area(s) and field inquiries from employees about proper safety procedures
- Lead grass roots safety meetings for on site or work procedure safety
- Track safety KPIs and prepare reports and presentations for corporate leadership
- Partner with and manage environmental and safety vendors and contracts
- Conduct or coordinate on-site safety monitoring as needed
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Science, or related field is required
- 5 years relevant experience in industrial job sites
- Knowledge of regulations relating to power tools; hot work; PPE; lock out tag out; confined space; etc.
- Active experience in SPCC plans, air permits, and fire code requirements
- Demonstrated experience in incident investigation
- Experienced in environmental and safety training development and training delivery
- Current knowledge of OHSA/EPA regulations required
- Valid driver's license
- Master's Degree
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Prior experience in management systems such as VPP, ISO 9001, ISO 14001 or OHSAS 18001
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work/life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top