Senior Manager, Connected Car Platform
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, focus is on Powertrain and eDrive as well as in Long Beach where the F-CELL team brings hydrogen vehicles on the road. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center. Together all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They get inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
Here at MBRDNA, we are looking for talented, energetic, and committed individuals to join our diverse team. Our employees are the key to our success, and we support each individual in fulfilling his or her potential. We proudly continue the pioneering work initiated by founders Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz over 125 years ago.
- This person will serve as a Senior Manager to coordinate and manage the connected car IT platform and support market integration projects in close cooperation with partners from Mercedes-Benz headquarter and markets. This role will start out in Montvale, NJ for training for initial 3-6 months. German language skills are highly preferred for this position.
- Lead the initial setup of the connected car IT platform and support market integration projects in close cooperation with partners from Mercedes-Benz headquarter and markets
- Assure continuous 24/7 operations of the platform including monitoring, reporting based on defined SLAs and KPIs, incident and problem management
- Deliver 2nd level support in close cooperation with market specific call centers and the central support organization in headquarter
- Support quality assurance for regular Mercedes me connect releases, new model lines and model changes
- Communicate effectively the desired deliverables to the team so to guide it’s efforts and creativity
- Provide guidance, motivation, and leadership for the Connected Car Platform team (approximately 15 to 20 persons)
- Manage personnel and budget
- Manage, instruct and supervise team members to ensure the RD/U schedule and its content can be achieved on-time with a high maturity level
- Collaborate with RD/U to manage, develop, test, validate and approve the quality and functionality of the connected car IT platform. Cooperate with the quality management (QM) departments as needed
Minimum Skills Required:
- Bachelor in electrical engineering, automotive system engineering or Computer Science or equivalent experience. Equivalent would be Bachelors 12 yrs / Master 8 yrs / PhD 5 years
- Solid understanding of the connected car system landscape, trends and technologies
- Proven track record in connected car projects/telematics service development, IT projects, automotive component development
- Strong understanding and expertise in leadership and team management. Leadership and soft skills to address daily challenges as they arise. A progressive management style emphasizing openness, collaboration, and shared goals.
- Extraordinary oral and written communication skills. Problem solving and critical thinking skills. Outstanding collaboration skills with a proven ability to work cross teams in to meet shared goals. Exemplary presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- High quality & performance aspiration for oneself and the team.
- Understanding of importance of work/life balance for team members, and knowledge of effective strategies to maintain balance
- Ability to develop and maintain comprehensive knowledge of:Company policies and procedures, Company goals and vision, Departmental practices and procedures, Interdepartmental relationships and their effect on company, departmental and individual goals, Software that is applicable to the job
- Solid knowledge of distributed IT architectures, cloud solutions
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically for at least 20% of the time
- Ability to explain complex topics, present to executives and demonstrate projects to internal and external guests.
- Experience in agile collaboration models (e.g. Scrum) and demonstrated ability to effectively setup and steer distributed developments including necessary integration and release steps
- Experience in working with a multinational team with distributed workforce
- Experience in cyber security, threat detection tools, cryptography, authentication, and secure communication protocols such as HTTPs/SSL/IPSec/VPN
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and MS Azure is a plus
- Experience within the context of Mercedes me connect with its infrastructure and processes is a plus
- German language skills are a plus
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work/life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top