Senior Manager, Application Development - Connected Car
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, focus is on Powertrain and eDrive as well as in Long Beach where the F-CELL team brings hydrogen vehicles on the road. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center. Together all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They get inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
Here at MBRDNA, we are looking for talented, energetic, and committed individuals to join our diverse team. Our employees are the key to our success, and we support each individual in fulfilling his or her potential. We proudly continue the pioneering work initiated by founders Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz over 125 years ago.
- Lead the App Development Group and manage the projects and budget to successfully deliver connected services and production grade connected innovations. The position focuses on building innovative connected services and back-end services as well as the integration of these services with modules developed by internal and external partners
- Communicate effectively the strategic direction, executive management goals as well as the immediate project deliverable to focus the team’s efforts and communicate to executive management and project partners the commitments the team can realistically complete
- Recruit and retain best talent for connected innovations and state-of-the-art software development practices. Provide Technical leadership for team members. Motivate and guide team members to achieve top performance.
- Build and grow leadership skills within the team by building trust.
- Ensure the on-time delivery and integration of the connected services on embedded targets and ensure participation in architecture decisions, integration and debugging sessions. Ensure top performance, highest software quality standards, re-usability and extensibility.
- Define the connected services development and integration strategy and plan specific activities to ensure the smooth integration of Connected innovations in close collaboration with UI teams, Back-end team and the Head Unit platform teams in various locations, primarily in Germany
- Ensure smooth communication and seamless integration with involved departments and other stakeholders within Daimler. Interact with remote Daimler locations in different time zones, primarily in Germany and India.
- Interface with external companies who are leaders in the connected services
- Manage personnel and budget for UI SW team
Minimum Skills Required:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer/Electrical/Software Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent experience
- 5 years professional experience in commercial or web-scale system software development and delivery
- Experience leading a production software development team for connected/cloud services in an agile and distributed setup
- Hands-on software development experience in distributed software environment. Solid experience with at least one of the following: Infrastructure as a service (IaaS), Platform as a service (PaaS), and Software as a service (SaaS)
- Proven object-oriented design and implementation skills (Java, and/or C )
- Proven understanding of scalable computing systems, software architecture, data structures, Design patterns/UML, TCP/IP protocol stack, security policy management and service-oriented application development
- Proficient in network, distributed, asynchronous and concurrent programming Technical experience in developing and releasing a successful product. Excellent project management skills
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically for at least 20% of the time
- Proven Ability to manage larger and distributed software product development teams effectively in an agile project setup
- Excellent software design and development skills as well as the ability to analyze software structures, paradigms, bugs and APIs for automotive devices and Back-End environment. Solid understanding of the full lifecycle of UI Software
- Proven experience in taking full End-2-End responsibility of cloud services in a complex and distributed cloud-based environment
- Ability to manage competing project priorities and constraints. Ability and clear willingness to work in inter-cultural, inter-disciplinary teams, across multiple time zones. Willingness to travel frequently
- Extraordinary oral and written communication skills. Problem solving and critical thinking skills. Outstanding collaboration skills with a proven ability to work cross teams in to meet shared goals. Exemplary presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Strong understanding of fundamentals in leadership and team management. Leadership and soft skills to address daily challenges as they arise. A progressive management style emphasizing openness, collaboration, and shared goals
- Experience in agile collaboration models (e.g. Scrum) and demonstrated ability to effectively setup and steer distributed developments including necessary integration and release steps
- Experience in working with a multinational team with distributed workforce
- German language skills are a plus
- Experience in cyber security, threat detection tools, cryptography, authentication, and secure communication protocols such as HTTPs/SSL/IPSec/VPN.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and MS Azure
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work/life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Back to top