Prototype Engineering Lead
Embedded in a worldwide network, Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive as well as in Long Beach, CA where the F-CELL team brings hydrogen vehicles to the road. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor, MI and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad, CA complete the competence center. Together, all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They're inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
Here at MBRDNA, we are looking for talented, energetic, and committed individuals to join our diverse team. Our employees are the key to our success, and we support each individual in fulfilling his or her potential. We proudly continue the pioneering work initiated by founders Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz over 125 years ago.
This position's primary purpose consists of designing, building and maintaining prototype systems for Business Innovation projects, including all operational aspects such as managing the BI workshop. Furthermore, this role is responsible for a structured and methodologically sound moderation of a rapid prototyping process in the incubation phase of BI projects.
- Understand the key prototyping needs of multiple projects, timeframes and requirements to execution;
- Design and construction of virtual and physical prototypes;
- Prototype management for BI projects and MVPs, specifically during the following stages: incubation, hardware component supplier coordination and field test
- Screening of the North American supplier industry for components as necessary for the projects
- Work with internal business partners at Mercedes-Benz to drive key technology insights
- Keep all prototypes within time and budget, resourcing project with additional people (contractors) when necessary
Minimum Skills Required:
- Bachelor/Master's Degree in Engineering
- 2-4 years of experience
- Ability to visualize ideas and translate them into physical prototypes (includes sawing, welding, etc)
- Previous work in the up fitter industry, skills in working with CAD systems, rapid prototyping
- Demonstrated ability to overcome obstacles and solve problems creatively
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work/life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top