Hardware Development Engineer - Combustion Engines
Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America, Inc. (MBRDNA), a Daimler company, consists of six business areas including Connected Car, UI & Telematics, Testing and Regulatory Affairs, Powertrain & eDrive, Advanced Exterior Design, Advanced User Experience Design and Autonomous Driving. All six business areas are focused on delivering a positive impact on Daimler products through the advancement of safe, convenient, and sustainable vehicles. Working together, MBRDNA remains a successful symbol of automotive research and development in North America.
Here at MBRDNA, we are looking for talented, energetic, and committed individuals to join our diverse team. Our employees are the key to our success, and we support each individual in fulfilling his or her potential. We proudly continue the pioneering work initiated by founders Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz over 125 years ago.
The Engineer Hardware Development will be responsible to define and develop internal combustion engine components from concept to production lunch for engine variants and the local market adaptation. This includes the assessment of the manufacturability, weight, and cost of designs concepts. The Engineer coordinates and defines release recommendations in accordance with the product development system requirements. Define, initiate and monitor internal combustion engine and component validation. Provide technical assistance to internal and external organizations in order to procure components and perform testing.
- Support the development of specifications and component project schedules. Evaluate the design feasibility to meet performance, packaging and handling requirements. Document and implement potential design and process changes to improve product performance, manufacturability and cost
- Support the coordination of engine and component testing
- Develop DFMEA (Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis) and define DVP (Design Validation Plan) for components and engine variants
- Coordinate supplier activities including communication of component specifications, development and validation schedules
- Provide technical assistance to suppliers, internal and external organizations to define and validate designs. Initiate and coordinate prototype program through component sourcing and component availability for build and validation programs. Support production launch from trial to production phases to ensure engineering requirements are met. Initiate and coordinate testing of the engines. Monitor component and engine validation process to ensure DVP requirements are met
- Monitor, document and report project status and actions for quality gate and management reviews. Define and develop problem resolution process (8D Process) and root cause analysis for identified incidents and non-conformance issues
- Control supplier and production site process and activities to ensure component, tooling schedule and quality are met. Participate in supplier evaluation activities. Collaborate with the engine research & development, production planning, purchasing and quality departments to ensure project objectives are met
- Identify and evaluate domestic suppliers for component localization and testing
- Support component validation. Participate in component analysis of validation, trial and production components. Support product and process approval process. (Initial Sample Report Review) Define product release recommendation
Minimum Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree, Mechanical Engineering
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Strong knowledge and experience of internal combustion engine component design and validation for all major engine assemblies including Crankcase, Crankshaft Drive, Cylinder Head, Cooling, Fuel and Lubrication Systems and Air Distribution Systems. Background in passenger car powertrain development
- Excellent engineering experience and knowledge to drive the design & validation program of internal combustion engines and components
- Experience in supplier management with focus on internal combustion engine development & validation
- Strong presentation and communication skills with the ability to work in a diverse and international project environment
- Strong problem solving skills to identify project risks and define recovery actions. Must be able to multi-task, several projects and prioritize workload to meet project quality gates
- Strong ability to plan, execute, control and document project progress using MS-Office Standard Software
- Strong Background in automotive development process and quality gate discipline with manufacturing and assembly knowledge of internal combustion engine components.
- Demonstrated ability to drive development of internal combustion engine and engine components including the validation of internal combustion engine and engine components
- Automotive development and quality gate discipline in engine development and design
- DFMEA (Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis) and DOE (Design of Experiments) experience
- Experience with domestic and international automotive suppliers
- Experience with internal combustion engine testing systems and engine instrumentation
- DFSS, Design for Six Sigma
- Experience in 2D and 3D design software using CATIA V5 and Siemens NX
- German Language Skills
- Hands-on experience with powertrain assembly and tear down
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work/life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Back to top