Engineering Intern - Powertrain (Start: March 2017)
Embedded in a worldwide network, Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive as well as in Long Beach, CA where the F-CELL team brings hydrogen vehicles to the road. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor, MI and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad, CA complete the competence center.
Together, all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They’re inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
The Powertrain & eDrive division operating in Redford, MI and Long Beach, CA manages all powertrain relevant product development in the USA. This includes next generation engine and component hardware development, validation, testing and localization for US production, engine controls and diagnostics development, and calibration on engine test dynamometers and in vehicles for US and worldwide markets.
The division is actively involved in development of advanced high voltage powertrain components and works extensively on topics such as electric motor control software for hybrid and electric vehicle use, in addition to development of high power charging systems for Mercedes-Benz plug-in vehicles.
Start Date: March 2017, 6 months duration a must.
Possible opportunity to become a Full-Time Employee
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Work day to day as part of the Powertrain Engineering Team
- Perform vehicle readouts, updates, and some minor diagnostics for potential vehicle issues
- Handle data collection and analysis, with some data processing and logical checks
- Assist with checking, installing, repairing, and general handling of measurement equipment
Skills & Attributes:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications (Excel, Powerpoint, Word) – Visual Basic programming skills are a plus
- Basic knowledge of Matlab required
- Matlab programming or C programming skills are a plus
- Previous knowledge with Engine Diagnostic Tools helpful
- Previous experience with engine calibration tools is a plus
- Must be able to communicate with a variety of multi-cultural and levels of employees
- German Language skills are a plus
Education & Experience:
- Mechanical, Electrical or similar Engineering degree, graduating April/May
- Previous automotive Internship experience encouraged
- Previous automotive experience encouraged (SAE club experience, technician experience)
- Project based programming experience encouraged (not only basic programming course work)
Special Skills Required:
- Valid Driver’s License necessary
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top