Engineering Intern - Powertrain
Embedded in a worldwide network, Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive as well as in Long Beach, CA where the F-CELL team brings hydrogen vehicles to the road. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor, MI and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad, CA complete the competence center.
Together, all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They're inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
The Powertrain & eDrive division operating in Redford, MI and Long Beach, CA manages all powertrain relevant product development in the USA. This includes next generation engine and component hardware development, validation, testing and localization for US production, engine controls and diagnostics development, and calibration on engine test dynamometers and in vehicles for US and worldwide markets.
The division is actively involved in development of advanced high voltage powertrain components and works extensively on topics such as electric motor control software for hybrid and electric vehicle use, in addition to development of high power charging systems for Mercedes-Benz plug-in vehicles.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Assist in different projects of the Powertrain engineering group
- Work as part of the Powertrain Engineering Team
- Performing vehicle readouts and software updates
- Measurement equipment installation and maintenance (hardware and software)
- Data handling and analysis (script creation and data presentation)
Desired Start Date: August 2017, 6 month duration
Skills & Attributes:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word & VBA)
- Computer programming basics (Matlab programming, project based)
- Experience with engine diagnostic tools preferred (Automotive Workshop Tools, Ecoute, Monaco)
- Experience with engine calibration software preferred (DAQ Tools, INCA)
- Strong time management skills
- Interpersonal skills to work with a variety of levels and
Education & Experience:
- Mechanical, Electrical, or similar Engineering degree (prefer Junior or above status)
- Prefer previous automotive internship experience
- Previous automotive hands-on or club experience
(Automotive Technician or SAE Club experience)
Special Skills Required:
- Valid Driver's License
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top