Engineering Intern - Overall Vehicle Testing & Durability
Embedded in a worldwide network, Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive as well as in Long Beach, CA where the F-CELL team brings hydrogen vehicles to the road. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor, MI and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad, CA complete the competence center. Together, all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They're inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
Every new vehicle must also be designed to meet stringent Mercedes-Benz standards for durability. The Testing & Regulatory Affairs Division ensures that all standards and requirements are met for the US market.
Testing locations in the Long Beach, California and Ann Arbor, Michigan also function as liaisons to both Mercedes-Benz in Germany and to government regulatory bodies in the US, including the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resource Board.
Key Task & Responsibility:
- Assist in variety of projects and work as part of the durability test team
- Monitor vehicle fleet and documentation in FiNAS
- Prepare and submit work orders to the internal R&D workshop in PiT
- Arrange logistics of newly arrived parts as well as disposition of removed and used parts
- Professional status reporting using MS Office tools
- Work on independent projects to identify and execute process changes for continuous improvement
- Support measurement engineer as needed with the Arcos Measurement Systems
- Opportunity to get insight into various departments and their cooperation such as R&D workshop, Emissions Laboratory, Powertrain Support, Advanced Driver Assistant
Systems, and E/E Integration
Start Date: July 2017 (6-7 months). Must be able to commit.
Education & Experience:
- Recent graduate or current student pursuing degree in Automotive Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Technology Management
- Minimum completion of junior year required
- Basic technical vehicle knowledge required
- Experience within MBRDNA or Daimler a plus
- German language skills a plus
Skills & Attributes:
- Proficiency in MS Office tools such as Outlook, Word,Excel and PowerPoint
- Skills to create and understand macros in VBA and to handle large data amounts in MS Excel
- Ability to learn and work with vehicle diagnostic tools (DTS Monaco, Vediamo Ecoute, Diagmera)
- Attention to detail and professional status reporting
- Interpersonal skills to work in a multicultural environment
- Professional communication skills
- Computer literacy required
Special Skills Required:
- Valid drivers license
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top