Embedded in a worldwide network, Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive as well as in Long Beach, CA where the F-CELL team brings hydrogen vehicles to the road. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor, MI and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad, CA complete the competence center.
Together, all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They're inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
The Powertrain & eDrive division operating in Redford, MI and Long Beach, CA manages all powertrain relevant product development in the USA. This includes next generation engine and component hardware development, validation, testing and localization for US production, engine controls and diagnostics development, and calibration on engine test dynamometers and in vehicles for US and worldwide markets.
The division is actively involved in development of advanced high voltage powertrain components and works extensively on topics such as electric motor control software for hybrid and electric vehicle use, in addition to development of high power charging systems for Mercedes-Benz plug-in vehicles.
An e-Mobility engineer to join an engineering team that develops power electronics specification and components for the hybrid and electric vehicle for Mercedes-Benz branded vehicles. The primary goal of this position is to monitor and analyze standardization and technological developments activities in the U.S EV market.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Support project related meetings and publish meeting minutes as necessary. Plan and drive Task Force activities as required. Plan and manage development activities in support of project plans/ budgets, written detailed technical specifications and test plans
- Promptly analyze and resolve development issues and field issues
- Support Global Standards Research & Development in the U.S.
- Support TransAtlantic Scientific Footprint Communications
- Support University Outreach Initiatives including the MBRDNA Scholars Program
- Support FOA Investigation & Alignment Activities including existing Grant Management & Reporting
- Support e-Mobility Market Research & Reporting via Newsletters, etc.
- e-Drive Program management support (PowerPoint development, Excel worksheet development, status reporting)
- Support Golden Test Device development via ISO/IEC 15118 Use Case Analysis
- Support acceptance of ISO/IEC 15118 in the US via discussions in cross industry organizations such as (OEM CS work group, university collaborations, CEC, CPUC, DoE, SAE, etc.)
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Electrical/Electronics/Computer Science or IT Engineering
- ISO 20078 knowledge (V2X communications)
- Knowledge of the Daimler Smart Charge Communications (SCC) technology based on ISO/IEC 15118
- Ability to perform testing of Smart Charge Communications (SCC) technology, track potential bugs and provide recommendations
- Knowledge of applicable e-Mobility Standards (J1772, SEP2.0, etc.)
- Knowledge of the Daimler Scientific foot print/US government partnering initiative
- Knowledge of IP protocols, OSI layer model, IT Security
- Knowledge of competitor's Smart Charging concepts
- Knowledge of alternative drive propulsion concepts (battery e-vehicles, serial hybrid & parallel hybrid concepts, etc.)
- Knowledge of CAN / CANalyzer
- Program management support skills
- Expert level Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook) skill set
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Process improvement expertise
- Strong work ethic
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work / life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top