EE Release Coordination Engineer
Embedded in a worldwide network, Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive as well as in Long Beach, CA where the F-CELL team brings hydrogen vehicles to the road. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor, MI and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad, CA complete the competence center.
Together, all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They're inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
Every new vehicle must also be designed to meet stringent Mercedes-Benz standards for durability. The Testing & Regulatory Affairs Division ensures that all standards and requirements are met for the US market.
Testing locations in the Long Beach, California and Ann Arbor, Michigan also function as liaisons to both Mercedes-Benz in Germany and to government regulatory bodies in the US, including the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resource Board.
Coordinate all hardware and software release updates necessary in order to update and flash test vehicles to the correct release level. Complete the commissioning of all systems to ensure correct functionality after update has been completed. Coordinate and lead the EE Integration validation test activities after each update sequence and report issues to car lines and to issue coordinators for each functional area.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Lead the vehicle software update process (vehicle ECU flash updates) utilizing tools such as Monaco SoftwareTankstelle. Coordinate with diagnostic experts as required. Lead technicians or other functional teams to perform SW updates. Ensure intended system functionality. Coordinate vehicle software flash support for other divisions/departments within the MBRDNA organization
- Develop test plan and schedule in conjunction with EE Intensive testing plans from car lines, and with functional groups to perform combined test drives (ADAS, Telematics teams, and Colleagues from Daimler organization)
- Generate overall vehicle schedule in collaboration with car lines and functional areas to ensure prototypes and test cars are available in time for release updates and validation test drives
- Create project budget and align budget planning with customer departments and vehicle and test plans. Monitor detailed budget status on-going, and provide period budget status summaries
- Coordinate and document in collaboration with Daimler counterpart which SW and HW is necessary to update specific prototype and test vehicles to a specific release level
- Obtain required HW and SW from counterparts in Daimler. Generate work orders for local workshop to update hardware and wiring as needed
- Coordinate functional teams and personnel necessary to perform validation test drives. Lead US market EE intensive test drives
- Analyze functionality and summarize results from static testing and from validation test drives
- Document, quantify, and report results to car line departments and functional areas
- Provide release recommendation for US market to customer departments as required
- Support testing initiatives as needed related to ADAS, NVH, fuel economy and other overall vehicle related projects
- Support the Tech Center engineering teams with vehicle testing and vehicle testing competence
- Actively work on process development and continuous improvement
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (mechanical, mechatronics, electrical, computer science, etc.)
- 5 years of relevant experience
- Automotive Development Knowledge: Strong understanding of vehicle development process, system development process, liability and quality requirements, knowledge of automobile technology, vehicle electrical and onboard communication architecture, assembly structure, modules and parts. Comprehensive knowledge of vehicle functions
- Comprehensive knowledge of common measurement and diagnostic tools (DTS Monaco, CANalyzer, CANape, Diagmera) and ability to analyze and interpret test and diagnostic data. Knowledge of ECU HW/SW functionality as part of a vehicle system
- Analytic or systems engineering knowledge: Ability to learn troubleshooting strategies of complex CAN/LIN/Flexray Star1 and Star2.x vehicle systems in order to identify issues, analyze and determine failure root causes to evaluate and guide solutions and repair actions of test vehicle and prototype vehicle problems
- Interpersonal and Team skills: Experience in intercultural environment, German language skills favored to read and understand project requirements and detailed B and E level development vehicle documentation often only available in German. Experience to work and gather crucial expert knowledge in a complex organization structure
- Project Management Skills: Ability to independently generate plans and identify milestones necessary to reach project targets. Ability to coordinate similar parallel complex projects from conceptualization based on project requirements includes budgeting, time planning, hardware requirement definition and materials acquisition, to execution, operation and documentation
- Must be able to independently convert strategies into tangible milestones and drive development of work procedures without strict instructions at times. Must be proactive in predicting and preparing for upcoming challenges and find solutions within time constraints and budget
Must be able to independently build up working relationships with intra-company expert departments in Germany, North America and Asia in order to attain relevant know-how, solutions, HW, SW
- Organization and leadership skills: Ability to organize people, budget, logistics, data, parts and workshop workflows within the TechCenter as well as with the customer departments, functional teams and management at Daimler in Germany. Ability to lead workshop through advanced troubleshooting procedures. Ability to lead groups on test drives
Other licenses or certifications required:
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to test drive vehicles
- German language skills, written and spoken
- Familiar with vehicle troubleshooting, MB diagnostic tools, project management
- Master's degree with emphasis in Mechatronics or Electrical Engineering
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work / life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top