Design and Documentation Engineer - Combustion Engines
Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America, Inc. (MBRDNA), a Daimler company, consists of six business areas including Connected Car, UI & Telematics, Testing and Regulatory Affairs, Powertrain & eDrive, Advanced Exterior Design, Advanced User Experience Design and Autonomous Driving. All six business areas are focused on delivering a positive impact on Daimler products through the advancement of safe, convenient, and sustainable vehicles. Working together, MBRDNA remains a successful symbol of automotive research and development in North America.
Here at MBRDNA, we are looking for talented, energetic, and committed individuals to join our diverse team. Our employees are the key to our success, and we support each individual in fulfilling his or her potential. We proudly continue the pioneering work initiated by founders Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz over 125 years ago.
- The Engineer Design & Documentation will be responsible to create and develop internal combustion engine component designs and drawings in NX
- This includes the documentation release from concept to production lunch for engine variants and local market adaptation
- The assessment of the manufacturability, weight, and cost of designs concepts is an integral part of the job activities
- The Engineer Design & Documentation coordinates and defines release recommendations in accordance with the product development system requirements
- The activities include the change management and documentation coordination of NX 3D/2D models in the documentation system
- To ensure that designs meet drawing specification, including DMU (Digital Mock Up) investigations the Engineer will interact with the engineering and project organization
Minimum Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree, Mechanical Engineering
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Strong knowledge and experience of internal combustion engine component design for all major engine assemblies including Crankcase, Crankshaft Drive, Cylinder Head, Cooling, Fuel and Lubrication Systems and Air Distribution Systems. Background in passenger car powertrain development
- Excellent design experience and knowledge in NX to drive the design & change management program of internal combustion engines and components
- Experience in supplier management and manufacturing processes with focus on internal combustion engine design
- Strong presentation and communication skills with the ability to work in a diverse and international project environment
- Strong problem solving skills to identify project risks and define recovery actions. Must be able to multi-task, several projects and prioritize workload to meet project quality gates
- Strong ability to plan, execute, control and document project progress using MS-Office Standard Software
- Strong Background in automotive development process and quality gate discipline with manufacturing and assembly knowledge of internal combustion engine components
- Demonstrated ability to drive design of internal combustion engine and engine components including the DMU process for internal combustion engine and engine components
- Automotive development and quality gate discipline in engine development and design
- DFMEA (Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis) and DOE (Design of Experiments) experience
- Experience with domestic and international automotive suppliers
- DFSS, Design for Six Sigma
- Experience in 2D and 3D design software using CATIA V5 and Siemens NX
- German Language Skills
- Hands-on experience with powertrain assembly and tear down
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work/life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top