Data Engineer - Connected Cars
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America (MBRDNA) continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Autonomous Driving, Customer Research and Business Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, focus is on Powertrain and eDrive as well as in Long Beach where the F-CELL team brings hydrogen vehicles on the road. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center. Together all the developers, technicians, engineers and designers take on the challenges of creating the next innovation. They get inspired by the newest trends, find the best solutions for the customer, develop the latest and greatest technologies and create the next generation of connected, safe, sustainable and luxurious vehicles.
Here at MBRDNA, we are looking for talented, energetic, and committed individuals to join our diverse team. Our employees are the key to our success, and we support each individual in fulfilling his or her potential. We proudly continue the pioneering work initiated by founders Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz over 125 years ago.
With the number of connected Mercedes-Benz vehicles on the road increasing daily, the amount of data being generated and its significance is also increasing rapidly. The Vehicle Infrastructure & Data Analytics team is looking for passionate and versatile Data Engineers to support with the collection, storage, processing, and analysis of large amounts of vehicle data.
This position will play a key role in the development and deployment of an innovative Big Data Platform for vehicle data processing and advanced analytics. As a Data Engineer on the team, you’ll be responsible for defining and building the data pipelines that combine vehicle data and third-party content and will enable better, faster, data-informed decision-making. As part of a larger global interdisciplinary team, you will also make strategic decisions that influence the platform and data warehouse architecture.
This is a unique opportunity to join an innovative group of engineers creating the next generation big data platform that will be accessed and used by hundreds of people across domains within Mercedes-Benz.
Minimum Skills Required :
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience
- Experience in one or more major programming languages (e.g. Unix shell scripting, Python, Java, C , C#, etc.)
- Proven record building a large scale data warehouse
- Strong background in large-scale query processing and data crunching
- Experience in data mining and data modeling with hands-on experience in structuring and spatial decomposition of complex data sets
- Experience working with low latency, high performance stream processing systems
- Proficiency with Hadoop, MapReduce, HDFS and SQL engines
- A strong voice for data integrity and reporting quality utilizing best practices and industry standards.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with others
- Working knowledge of Spring Boot, Spring XD, Pig or Spark is a plus
- Experienced with test-driven development based on Mockito, Maven & Junit
- Familiarity with different data warehouse solutions including Cassandra, Redis, HBase, Grenplum or Gemfire
- Experience with enterprise data platforms including Pivotal’s Big Data Suite, Microsoft Azure Analytics or SAP Analytics is a plus
- Support the implementation of workflows with varying demands of throughput and latency
- Support with the implementation of the data warehouse for the new Big Data Platform
- Build and optimize the data pipelines that combine new vehicle data and third-party content
- Define and implement data stores based on customer requirements and system requirements
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work/life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top