Associate General Counsel, Energy Storage
Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America, Inc. (MBRDNA), a Daimler company, consists of five business areas including Connected Car, UI & Telematics, Testing and Regulatory Affairs, Powertrain & eDrive, Advanced Exterior Design, and Advanced User Experience Design. All five business areas are focused on delivering a positive impact on Daimler products through the advancement of safe, convenient, and sustainable vehicles. Working together, MBRDNA remains a successful symbol of automotive research and development in North America.
Here at MBRDNA, we are looking for talented, energetic, and committed individuals to join our diverse team. Our employees are the key to our success, and we support each individual in fulfilling his or her potential. We proudly continue the pioneering work initiated by founders Gottlieb Daimler and Carl Benz over 125 years ago.
The role serves as Associate General Counsel for the Energy Storage business at MBRDNA. Overall responsibility is to provide leadership for the business on all legal, regulatory and related matters affecting new pilots and start-up businesses. In addition to guiding the business from a legal standpoint, the individual will manage external legal resources. The individual will help Energy Storage to achieve its objectives in a legally compliant manner, adeptly balancing compliance and risk management thinking with the business acumen required to succeed in in the new business areas. They also will collaborate with other attorneys globally across Daimler and key third party partners on shared initiatives.
- Represents the legal interests of the Energy Storage group (ES) in the US and provides the highest quality of legal services to ES by a professional legal staff which is intimately familiar with ES objectives, plans, products and personnel.
- Working with ES and Daimler Group business and legal leadership to address effective critical legal strategies to enable fulfillment of ESs mission on a global basis.
- Drafts and negotiates various alliance, cooperation, development, sales and licensing agreements and contract transactions. Based on strong legal and business project management skills provides leadership in structuring relationships and agreements regarding the formation, implementation and governance of new business models, M&A transactions and other projects.
- Provide legal advice and practical guidance from the initial stages of product ideation through launch developing advantageous and innovative structures and organizing operational frameworks for the successful deployment of new business concepts and ideas.
- Serve as a key legal partner as part of ES’s relationship within Daimler businesses and vendors. Build positive and influential relationships with executives, research teams and peers across ES and Daimler.
- Ensure that management is fully aware and familiar with new legal and regulatory trends and changes that may impact upon business. Be at the forefront of the development of new solutions in the relevant emerging areas of law providing the business with practical solutions.
- Oversee outside counsel to ensure highest quality of legal support at competitive cost.
- Establish and implement policies, plans, practices and processes of legal controls to assure compliance with the law.
Minimum skills required :
- Bachelor’s degree Juris Doctor from a leading law school and five (5) or more years of relevant legal experience is required. Must be member in good standing of state bar
- Comprehensive knowledge of commercial law and application to daily business activities.
- Strong understanding of technology, sales/marketing, new business set up, as well as demonstrated ability to recognize and weigh business and legal risk, think strategically and advance a timely, practical solution.
- Solid understanding of litigation costs, budgeting process, and expense controls to manage trial counsel and negotiate settlements where appropriate.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Urgency and results focus to ensure timely and appropriate response to issues raised.
- Strong contract negotiations skills.
- Ability to build relationships and influence cross functional divisions.
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer that offers generous benefits and compensation, work/life balance tools and several methods of recognition and rewards. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more.
Meet Some of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America's Employees
Principal User Experience Designer
It’s Michelle’s job to create design strategies for products five to 15 years into the future—products that can provide new experiences and new value to customers.
Back to top