Vocational Counselor I/II – Culinary – Bannock
POSITION SUMMARY: Supervise consumer employees in Sally's Café to prepare meals and operate the kitchen and dining room. Meet and work with those we serve by helping to develop and reinforce positive self-worth and dignity. Assist those we serve in developing and working towards their recovery goals. Responsible for consumer management and crisis prevention as well as model and teach time management and social interactions. Develop and maintain community connections and relationships. This includes other teams within MHCD as well as vendors, possible employers and other contacts that may be developed. Certified Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioner or willingness to obtain certification within one year highly preferred.
VC I $16.24/hr.-$19.49/hr.
VC II $18.84/hr. – $22.64/hr.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Complete comprehensive vocational assessments, utilizing aptitude, interest and other assessment tools.
- Develop individualized training plans for consumers in the vocational/rehabilitation program.
- Coordination of consumer's activities at assigned work stations/sites.
- Monitor consumer progresses and complete case management activities with consumers or clinicians.
- Complete consumer data, reports and clinical documentation as required.
- Participate in pre-vocational partial care services.
- Conduct and support educational opportunities such as computer training, culinary training, wellness, training, and general education.
- Plan and facilitate social activities within the community and with the program.
- Coordinate care between the rehabilitation department and the clinical team.
- Complete consumer data, reports, and clinical documentation as required.
- Perform duties as assigned.
- Sally's Café runs a rotating training program that teaches the following:
- Food safety, following Environmental Health Standards.
- Safe food preparation skills, including knives and appliances
- Cooking from scratch as well as how to handle commercially prepared foods.
- Hot and cold food preparation
- Nutritional education
- Customer Service
- Teach culinary skills to prepare a wide range of menu items from salads and cold prep to soups, entrees, baking and desserts
- Job readiness, interpersonal skills, time management and conflict resolution
- Promote recovery and effective employee job performance using a strengths-based approach.
Kitchen managerial duties:
- Order and inventory and stock
- Overseeing food prep, production, and safety
- Expand and co-develop nutritional curriculum
- Training and education
- Planning and Budgeting
- Menu Planning
Vocational Counselor I
- Bachelor degree in rehabilitation or specific job duties with one year of experience.
- Bachelor degree in related field with one year of vocational experience or experience related to specific job duties.
- Three years of vocational experience or experience related to specific job duties.Vocational Counselor II
Vocational Counselor II
- Masters degree in vocational rehabilitation or specific job duties.
- Masters degree in related field and one year of vocational experience, or experience related to specific job duties.
- Bachelors degree in rehabilitation and three years vocational experience, or experience related to specific job duties.
- Bachelors degree in related field and four years vocational experience or experience related to specific job duties.
EXPERIENCE: Certified Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioner or willingness to obtain certification within one year highly preferred. Experience working with severe and persistent mental illness.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of vocational community resources and the local community.
- General knowledge of computer technology.
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals with severe and persistent mental illness.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT TO BE USED: Computers, calculators, fax machines, copiers, telephone and a variety of other office/clerical equipment.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting, standing, bending and reaching. May require lifting up to 50 pounds. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office machines such as computers, fax machines, the telephone and other office and/or clinical equipment.
WORKING CONDITIONS: May require occasional evening or weekend hours.
Meet Some of Mental Health Center of Denver's Employees
Gary manages the peer support staff in the Rehabilitation Department. The team’s main goal is to help individuals reintegrate into the community and become self-sufficient.
Back to top