Voc. Counselor II/Edu..Spec. II (Fitness and Recreation)
Position Summary: 2Succeed in Education is a psychiatric rehabilitation and supported education program that promotes overall wellness and supports adults in their recovery from mental illness. The ideal candidate for this position will have experience and knowledge in fitness and recreation. This includes: supporting members in developing their skills in various fitness or recreational pursuits; running weekly classes; organizing community-based field trips; connecting members to resources in the greater community; and adaptable teaching skills for teaching basic level classes in fitness or other desirable topics. The ideal candidate will also have a working understanding of Psychiatric Rehabilitation philosophy and rehabilitation counseling skills; experience working collaboratively as part of a therapeutic treatment team to support people in recovery; and strong computer skills for required documentation.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist members with setting short and long-term learning and wellness goals
- Outreach and maintain a caseload of individuals engaged in services
- Assist individuals in developing learning and wellness treatment plans
- Complete data, reports and clinical documentation as required
- Coordinate care between the rehabilitation department and the clinical team
- Oversee the 2Succeed fitness center and studio
- Plan and facilitate fitness classes and recreational opportunities
- Plan and facilitate social activities and special events within the community and the program
- Collaborate with individuals we serve to encourage engagement and support recovery
- Model good communication, healthy working-relationships and appropriate boundaries
- Support cultural diversity and encourage inclusiveness of people with different abilities
- Provide services with a Trauma-Informed approach
- Effectively collaborative with peers to oversee the day to day operations of the program
- Familiarity working with people who have experiences of severe mental illness, trauma, addiction disorder, low socioeconomic status and marginalization
- Embody compassion, empathy and patience
- Provide crisis intervention and de-escalation as needed
- Be self-motivated and have good time-management skills
- Be creative in bringing your strengths and interests to the team and program
- Have strong skills in organization, planning and communication
- Leadership skills including self-awareness and a desire to continuously learn and grow
- Ability to transport members to/from activities using agency van
- Perform duties as assigned
Education: Vocational Counselor I
- Bachelor degree in rehabilitation or specific job duties with one year of experience.
- Bachelor degree in related field with one year of vocational experience or experience related to specific job duties.
- Three years of vocational experience or experience related to specific job duties. Vocational Counselor II
- Masters degree in vocational rehabilitation or specific job duties.
- Masters degree in related field and one year of vocational experience, or experience related to specific job duties.
- Bachelors degree in rehabilitation and three years vocational experience, or experience related to specific job duties.
- Bachelors degree in related field and four years vocational experience or experience related to specific job duties.***Certified Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioner or willingness to obtain certification within one year highly preferred. Experience: Mental health experience or similar social/human services experience preferred.
- Skills: Ability to teach adult learners, and work with a number of different learning styles. Flexibility to tailor instruction and expectations to individual consumers. Knowledge of vocational community resources and the local community. Proficiency and knowledge of computer technology and resources. Demonstrated ability to work with individuals with severe and persistent mental illness.
Back to top