Residential Counselor II - M-F 3p-12a Beeler
POSITION SUMMARY: Facilitate and work with consumers on a variety of activities of daily living (ADLs) needed for consumers to become more self-sufficient and move toward recovery. Additionally, you will facilitate group therapy, manage intakes/discharges, monitor medications, create a safe environment for the consumers, help coordinate treatment, and advocate for individuals with severe and persistent mental illness. Responsible for direct service care to consumers as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide individual psychotherapy with consumers to provide support and insight.
- Facilitate group therapy sessions within the house.
- Coordinate clinical care with case management services and other services both inside and outside of MHCD.
- Assess consumers throughout the workday, and provide appropriate interventions.
- Encourage, support, and train consumers in activities of daily living (ADLs) - teaching consumers about hygiene, help make appointments, show how to do household duties/chores, such as cooking, cleaning, etc.
- As part of a multi-disciplinary system, help facilitate the treatment and continuity of clinical care.
- Complete intake and discharge tasks for consumers being place in the house as new residents or moving out of the house.
- Maintain household safety in regard to a variety of household chores and activities, such as cooking, cleaning, and laundry.
- Document all significant consumer interactions toward recovery and continuity of care.
- Complete necessary clinical documentation, such as the daily log, consumer record, and medication records.
- Respond to consumer and building emergencies, and facilitate appropriate interventions. In emergency situations, contact other residential staff, your supervisor, or other clinicians when needed.
- Advocate for acceptance and integration of individuals with mental illness within the neighborhood and community in which they live.
- Required to attend scheduled team meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
RC II: Bachelor's Degree in social work, psychology, human services, or related field.
QMAP (Qualified Medication Administration Person)
CPR & First Aid
Physical and TB required. (must be completed prior to hire, and maintained during employment)
EXPERIENCE: Two years of mental health experience or in related field preferred. Must be 21 yrs. of age to apply.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent communication, organizational, and clinical skills:
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize.
- Attention to detail in regard to clinical information.
- Must have a clear understanding of personal boundaries and be confident and self-assured in a variety of situations.
- Have the ability to de-escalate tense situations, and remain calm.
- Possess a high level of energy, with a positive and creative attitude.
- Knowledge and understanding of trauma-informed care principles/practices.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT TO BE USED: Computer, telephone, facsimile, and other machines found in a residential facility.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting, standing, bending, lifting. Must be able to perform a variety of household tasks, climb stairs, move throughout the house, and quickly respond to emergencies. May require lifting 50 pounds.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Must meet qualifications under Chapter 7 of the Residential Care Facilities - Mentally Ill requirements. Shift work and/or weekend work is required. Certain programs may require a Class "S" driver's license.
Back to top