Market Farm Assistant – Dahlia Campus – Seasonal
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for supporting Market Farm Manager in the cultivation of a 1-acre market farm at the Dahlia Campus for Health and Well-Being. Outreach and education programs consist of groups working at Dahlia Campus and with neighborhood organizations, leaders, and stakeholders. This is a seasonal position M-F and varies by season and days based on harvesting, distribution, and event schedule; occasional weekend and evening hours.
SALARY RANGE: $13/hr. - $15/hr.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in the planting, cultivating, and harvesting of crops in coordination with the Market Farm Manager.
- Coordinate farm distribution and communications. Manage food distribution programs including Farmers Market, Food Boxes, and Donation programs.
- Assist with development and implementation of farm-based educational and volunteer programs.
- Ensure that Dahlia Campus Market Farm is embodying MHCD's Mission, Vision and Core Values.
- Manage and mentor include apprenticeships, internships, field trips, farm tours, volunteer days, cooking demonstrations/classes, and various social events throughout the year.
- Provide accurate recordkeeping and reporting on farm outcomes, including harvest totals, seed and transplant dates, and amendment applications.
- Attend relevant Farm and Garden Partner meetings and MHCD event planning meetings.
- Participate in development and outreach efforts for programs and special events.
- Facilitate communication and understanding of site programs, services, goals and values.
- Other duties, as assigned.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree in agriculture, agri-business and or biological sciences preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum two (2) years of experience small-scale farming (volunteer experience accepted). Working knowledge of organic/sustainable farming practices as well marketing/sales of vegetables and other products. Experience with drip irrigation preferred. Preferred experience managing volunteers and working with children (pre-k through 12), and people with disabilities. Working knowledge of SNAP/ DUFB procedures and reporting a plus.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Some experience with farming practices, marketing & sales
- Ability to work flexible hours which may be required.
- Take initiative and follow through on tasks and attention to detail
- Ability to create strong relationships with adults and children with an understanding of, and respect for, culture and diversity.
- Pragmatic and outcome-driven, yet positive and forward thinking.
- Interest in helping develop a more sustainable and just local food system.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Manage and mentor farm interns, apprentices, work shares, and other volunteers. Manage the volunteer farm crew while on site.
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT TO BE USED: Farming equipment, computers, printers, and fax machines.
Typical Physical Demands: Ability to physically work within a variety of conditions i.e. endurance to work long days, in diverse weather conditions (35-105Fº), and requires frequent lifting and carrying of at least 50 pounds. Requires crouching, kneeling, standing, bending and reaching, ability to use farming equipment/tools.
Typical Mental Demands: Ability to give, receive and analyze information, formulate work plans, prepare written materials and articulate goals and action plans. Must be able to assess risk and challenges quickly and develop an effective response. Must understand people from all walks of life and be able to communicate effectively with them.
Working Conditions: Maintain flexible schedule. Frequent early morning, evening, and weekend responsibilities. Wednesday, all day during market season is required (must be able to attend at least 14/16 markets).
Meet Some of Mental Health Center of Denver's Employees
Gary manages the peer support staff in the Rehabilitation Department. The team’s main goal is to help individuals reintegrate into the community and become self-sufficient.
Back to top