Housing Resource Specialist
Housing Resource Specialist
STARTING SALARY: $16.05/hr. - $19.01/hr.
General Hours: M-F 8AM-5PM (may vary)
REPORTS TO: Program Manager – Housing Resources
POSITION SUMMARY: Helps consumers find and maintain housing utilizing the HUD Section 8 certificates and vouchers system. Assures that consumers and landlords meet HUD housing guidelines. Assists consumers in finding alternative housing, as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Complete all paperwork required for HUD or other programs on a timely basis
- Act as liaison between tenant and landlord.
- Provide information on vacancies, helps to negotiate leases with landlords; fill vacancies in a timely manner.
- Assist in assuring housing qualities standards.
- Maintain communication with case management staff concerning tenant status. Assess tenants’ potential for living independently and coordinate/monitor support systems as needed.
- Respond to issues raised by tenants, landlords and clinical staff relating to housing issues.
- Monitor housing needs.
- Maintain familiarity with contract law as it relates to apartment leasing. Help consumers facilitate resolutions of landlord disputes and evictions.
- Maintains rental assistance caseload in accordance with MHCD standards and HUD regulations, policies and procedures.
- Facilitate interaction between consumers, clinicians and non-MHCD housing providers as required.
- Support the Housing Resource Coordinator with landlord recruitment, training, and client referrals.
- Perform other duties as assigned including assisting performance of other departmental functions.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED equivalence
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of two years of experience with Section 8 housing, low-income housing, or similar equivalent experience.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Working knowledge of Section 8 HCV and other federal and state housing programs strongly preferred, including a working knowledge of HUD regulations, policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office and its components.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with good driving record and motor vehicle to drive to and from a variety of housing locations -meet with landlords and tenants.
- Background check is required
- Good communications skills and organizational skills.
- Positive attitude and willingness to assist in a variety of tasks and assignments.
- Ability to handle tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate with and assist a diverse population of clientele; (including seniors; mentally, emotionally and physically disabled individuals and individuals from various backgrounds).
- Customer-service oriented with a genuine desire to assist clientele.
- Knowledge of office procedures and basic office equipment, business English and mathematics.
- Ability to give, receive and analyze information, formulate work plans, prepare written material and articulate goals and action plans.
- Have the ability to maintain efficiency and accuracy under pressure of deadlines and numerous interruptions throughout the workday.
- Self-starter and possess organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to represent the agency in a favorable light at all times.
- Knowledge and understanding of trauma-informed care principles/practices.
LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: (may be obtained on the job)
- Registered and proficient in the HUD Enterprise Income Verification(EIV) web based computer system
- Certified to perform HUD Housing Quality Standards inspections
- Upon 2 years of experience using the Colorado Division of Housing (DOH) Elite Super User computer system, employee base salary shall be increased by $1 per hour
- One year experience using the Colorado Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) performing intakes, exits, updates and reports
- One year experience administering the various MHCD rental assistance programs
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT TO BE USED: Computers, calculators, fax machines, copiers, telephone and a variety of other office/clerical equipment.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting, standing, bending and reaching. May require lifting up to 50 pounds. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office machines such as computers, fax machines, the telephone and other office and/or clinical equipment.
WORKING CONDITIONS: May require occasional evening or weekend hours. Local driving required.
Back to top