Clinical Pharmacy Specialist
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for the provision of comprehensive clinical pharmacy services, including pharmacokinetic and therapeutic consultation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Design, recommend, monitor, and evaluate the provision of consumer-specific pharmacotherapy, interventions and optimization of drug therapy and/or avoidance of potential medication related problems.
- Provide concise, applicable, timely and evidence-based responses to drug information inquiries from healthcare providers.
- Complete provider requested psychopharmacology consults that determine and recommend dosing and monitoring parameters for specific drugs including initial and maintenance dosing as well as therapeutic endpoints based on available information and professional literature.
- Document clinical interventions including changes in drug therapy or medication order clarifications.
- Serve as a Clinical Preceptor of doctoral pharmacy students.
- Provide in-service education to physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other healthcare practitioners.
- Serve as an educational resource to the front-line pharmacists regarding pharmacotherapy related issues and function as a clinical pharmacy role model for MHCD Pharmacy Staff.
- Participate in the Mental Health Center of Denver's process of assessing, managing, preventing, and reporting drug interactions, medication errors, and/or adverse drug reactions.
- Communicate effectively/appropriately with the people served by the Mental Health Center of Denver in solving drug information questions/requests and provide customer-specific medication use teaching.
- Design, recommend, monitor, and evaluate the provision of person-specific pharmacotherapy, interventions and optimization of drug therapy and/or avoidance of potential medication related problems.
- Participate in the development of medication use management programs within the Mental Health Center of Denver including clinical guidelines, critical pathways, disease state management, and drug use programs in cooperation with the Medical Director and Director of Pharmacy.
- Work with the Director of Pharmacy and Assistant Director of Pharmacy Operations in the development of new programs, services, practices, and educational activities for the MHCD Pharmacy Department.
- Participate in or lead committees and informal work groups, as appropriate.
- Keep informed of all local, state and federal laws covering the storage, handling and dispensing of drugs and for interpreting each prescription order to determine that it meets all legal requirements.
- Keep current with literature regarding the action, side effects and proper usage of medications, particularly psychiatric medications. Attend professional meetings and seminars.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Doctor of Pharmacy degree required. Board Certification in Psychiatric Pharmacy, ASHP Residency or equivalent experience preferred.
Licensure: Colorado Pharmacist license in good standing.
Experience: Two to three years of clinical pharmacy experience. (This may include Residency training)
Skills: Must have good organizational and communication skills. Computer skills required. Immunization certification and Medication Therapy Management (MTM) certification required.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Oversee clinical pharmacy services for the MHCD Pharmacy Department.
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT TO BE USED: Computers, calculators, fax machines, copiers, telephone and a variety of other office/clerical equipment.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting, standing, bending and reaching. Position requires manual dexterity to operate standard office machines, such as computers, fax machines, calculators, telephone, and other office and/or clerical equipment.
WORKING CONDITIONS: May require occasional evening and weekend hours.
Meet Some of Mental Health Center of Denver's Employees
Gary manages the peer support staff in the Rehabilitation Department. The team’s main goal is to help individuals reintegrate into the community and become self-sufficient.
Back to top