ASL/English Interpreter - Team 723
- Denver, CO
EMPLOYMENT VALUE PROPOSITION: Mental Health Center of Denver provides you with the support you need to help you develop a career in helping others succeed. We innovate, adapt, and leverage the diverse perspectives of the people on our team and the people we serve in everything we do.
Meet one of our employees:
Provide American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Integrated Care services. This includes Mental Health Center of Denver DHHICI staff, primary care staff and patients within the medical provider setting and other related settings. Provide general information, training, and consultation on deaf and hard of hearing communication issues to clinical and administrative staff.
This is a pilot position that is full-time/hourly
$21.40/hr. - $25.20/hr.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Interpret in an integrated care setting for medical/clinical staff and patients during appointments, case management and similar therapeutic interactions.
- Provide interpretation for patients through the visit at the medical practice
- Ability to work independently
- During various meetings, conferences, trainings, and other gatherings interpret for staff or community participants so each may fully participate in the activity.
- ASL Culture Educator: Educate Providers on the possible need for longer sessions, the need for appropriate pausing during sessions, or changes in how questions are asked or posed. Providers may rely on interpreters for cultural information. Ensure that cultural information is passed on to all providers.
- Other similar duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Must have RID, NIC (National Interpreter Certification).
Minimum of 3 yrs. of ASL interpreting. Knowledge/experience in an integrated healthcare care setting. Medical and behavioral health interpreting - preferred.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Effective written and verbal communication skills including ASL.
- Ability to work effectively on an interdisciplinary team
- Must have bilingual fluency in English and ASL including the ability to produce and comprehend sociolinguistic variation.
- Must understand the linguistic, social and cultural influences that impact behavioral health and health care interaction.
- Use tact and discretion in communications, including maintaining confidentiality with employee information and consumer information obtained while interpreting.
- Work well with diverse populations within and outside the organization
- Ability to lead and facilitate discussions and trainings
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT TO BE USED:
Computers, calculators, fax machines, copiers, telephone and a variety of other office/clerical equipment.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Requires sitting, standing, bending and reaching. May require lifting up to 40 pounds. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office machines such as computers, fax machines, the telephone and other office and/or clinical equipment.
May require occasional evening or weekend hours.
Back to top