Aquaponics Farm Coordinator
POSITION SUMMARY: Greenhouse assistant and coordinator of aquaponic food distribution.
This role will expand the community impact of the Dahlia Campus for Health and Well-Being and provide a connection to the community through food grown on campus. MHCD seeks to achieve efficient and effective operations of the Dahlia Campus greenhouse to produce healthy food for the community. This position is a multifaceted role involving the opportunity to work in a state of the art aquaponic greenhouse, collaborating with an integrative health and wellness center. Duties include assisting the farm manager, food production, developing and overseeing the food box program, distribution and outreach to restaurants and community members, administrative support to farms and gardens partners and Farmers Market operations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- General Greenhouse Duties: assist with general maintenance and cleaning; monitor and record key system parameters (pH, temperature, nutrient levels); perform water quality tests; identify and manage pests/diseases; assist with system improvement projects and creation and maintenance of standard operating procedures; assist with troubleshooting mechanical issues; feed fish and monitor health; support Farm Manager in stocking, moving and harvesting of fish; give public and private greenhouse tours as needed; provide occasional assistance for training volunteers and other individuals; adhere to food safety operating procedures to ensure the health of the greenhouse environment and consumers; attend biweekly meetings with all greenhouse staff to ensure smooth communication; provide administrative support for greenhouse operations including tracking harvest log and performing data entry.
- Food production/Distribution: seed and transplant crops; perform proper cleaning/sanitizing tasks to meet food safety guidelines when entering the greenhouse and while handling food; participate in required training and maintenance of documentation to adhere to food safety regulations; make local deliveries; harvest/pack greens, lettuces, and fish; set up and staff farmers' market seasonally each week, map out food systems present in 80207/nearby neighborhood, develop customer base for Dahlia grown produce, coordinate sales to restaurants and direct to consumer as needed.
- Direct to Community: oversee food box packing and distribution; assist with organizing and storing produce; receive training on Farmigo platform to fill orders in the event of Farm Manager's absence; respond to food box related inquiries; make deliveries of food as needed; help set up and manage greenhouse booth at seasonal farmers market.
- To Restaurants: assist with adhering to food safety regulations; make deliveries of food as needed in collaboration with other food growers, assist with maintaining relationships with chefs and seek out new restaurant and retail customers, market and promote produce and fish collaboratively with other farms and gardens partners.
- As donations: weigh and track bags designated for donation, make donation deliveries to distribution points as needed.
- Farms and Gardens Partner Support: attend special events at or on behalf of the Dahlia Campus for Health and Well-Being; assist with posting/maintaining social media accounts and online calendar (send photos, event notices and summaries to communications/development); attend weekly meetings with Farm and Gardens partners and outreach team and take meeting minutes; collaborate with MHCD for PR and marketing to community/customer base.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in Biology or Environmental Science; alternatively, combination of related work experience and coursework in public health or sociology. Must have valid Colorado driver's license and pass background check.EXPERIENCE: Previous greenhouse experience highly recommended. Familiarity with Deep Water Culture aquaponics and controlled agriculture environment preferred
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Understanding of basic organic and biochemistry, ecology, and crop planning
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic quickly (convert oz–>lbs etc.)
- Attention to detail and thorough follow through
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to give, receive, and analyze information, formulate work plans
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Square, and social media
- Enjoy working in a greenhouse environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate respectfully with diverse persons and community
- Ability to be sensitive to community members and respond to community needs
- Passion for urban agriculture and food systems, production, and justice
- SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee volunteers for food box packing and distribution
- Overseeing volunteers, interns, and trainees performing greenhouse duties
- MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT TO BE USED: Refrigerated box truckTYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Lift 50 lbs. above the head and carry awkward, heavy items
- Repeated bending over and extended reaching
- Stand for 5+ hours at a time
- Work efficiently in bright, humid, and wet greenhouse environment
- Withstand extreme temperature variation (58-80 degrees F)
- TYPICAL MENTAL DEMANDS:
- Manage a fast-paced working environment
- Handle a wide variety of farm elements including: algae, bioslime, fish waste, uneaten fish food, decomposing plant material, bacteria, fungus, dead fish, and plant pests
- WORKING CONDITIONS: Requires occasional weekend and on call hours
Meet Some of Mental Health Center of Denver's Employees
Gary manages the peer support staff in the Rehabilitation Department. The team’s main goal is to help individuals reintegrate into the community and become self-sufficient.
Back to top