Senior Research Technician - Brain Tumor Center (BTC)
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Brain Tumor Center (BTC) at Memorial Sloan Kettering is a collaborative research center that promotes the understanding of brain tumor biology through interdepartmental research collaborations. Main research initiatives include a patient derived glioma xenograft program, brain tumor bank and primary cell cultures. These research initiatives derive state of the art tools to aid investigators as they explore novel therapies and discoveries in the realm of primary brain tumor biology.
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate to join our team as a Senior Research Technician to provide technical support for the Brain Tumor Center’s Xenograft Program.
- Directly interact with program leadership on research projects; Administer and coordinate technical and scientific center activities
- Collection and processing of human bio-specimens
- Maintenance of Mouse Colony: provide the highest quality care to animals to enhance the research conducted using animal models, which includes health checks, perform animal breeding
- Perform in vivo and in vitro studies including injecting animals, collecting and harvesting various tissues and fluids, performing animal autopsies
- Set up, operate and maintain equipment; Prepare and implement experiments and assemble data for analysis; record and write reports and experimental findings and deposit data into databases
- Performs inventory and ordering of supplies and other duties as assigned
- An enthusiastic researcher who seeks new approaches to solve problems and uses successes and failures as a way to learn
- Effective at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Capable of making high quality decisions, even when based on incomplete information
- Able to maintain a positive attitude and forward-thinking approach despite setbacks
- BA/BS in biological sciences with 3 years of full-time experience or Master’s with at least 1 year of related experience; prefer experience with animal handling
- Outstanding communication skills; Ability to work independently
- Proficient Excel Skills, strong technical ability in molecular/cell biology and biochemistry required
- Good verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and computer skills required
- Ability to be organized, dependable, efficient, and to work independently once fully trained
- Exposure to genomic quantification and/or bioinformatics
- Basic understanding of coding and data mapping
- Experience with developing scientific project proposals and identifying project scopes #LI-POST
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Meet Some of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center's Employees
Miguel B.Lead Software Engineer
Miguel provides insight on the data collected from all cancer research, ensuring every product in the hospital is backed by data science.
Back to top