Senior Research Scientist/Microscopist
- New York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 30th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2019, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2019. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Advanced Light Microscopy Operation of the Molecular Cytology Core Facility at MSK is seeking a Senior Research Scientist/Senior Microscopy Specialist to join their team.
The Molecular Cytology Core Facility is offering a full-time position for a highly motivated person who is interested to apply and further develop his skills to support scientists and students with image acquisition and data analysis. The MCCF is supporting complex microscopy setups, including Zeiss confocal/Airyscan, Leica confocal microscopes (SP5 on an upright stand, SP5 on an inverted stand and SP8/WLL&APDs), widefield bright field/fluorescence microscopes, laser capture microdissection microscope, digital slide scanners and image analysis workstations with a range of software packages, e.g. Imaris, AutoQuant, MatLab, FIJI/ImageJ, Voloom, CaseViewer. We have more than hundred users with a diverse range of applications and imaging needs.
The new team member is expected to work with image processing and image analysis in the dynamic environment of basic and clinical researchers, as well as oversee the training of the scientists, using the equipment.
As the Senior Research Scientist/Microscopy Specialist You Will:
- maintenance of the daily operation of the high-end light microscopes and equipment infrastructure, including instrument performance tests, troubleshooting, alignments
- teaching microscopy classes
- writing reports, preparing presentations, collaborating in scientific papers
- user consultation, training and assistance with routine and advanced light microscopy techniques to ensure correct set up and optimum microscope operation
- provide project-based advice for preparation of biological samples, including fixation, tissue sectioning, tissue clearing and expansion microscopy, image acquisition, data processing and image analysis
- maintenance and upgrades of the Core infrastructure (network, computers, servers, software) in coordination with the IT team
- PhD in (Biology, BioPhysics or related fields with several years of work experience with microscopy image processing and image analysisS
- Strong service and team-orientation, and excellent organizational, problem-solving and communication skills
- Practical experience with data processing, data management, image analysis, programming and advanced imaging techniques
- A passion for learning and problem solving
- Strong organizational skills, flexibility in working hours and ability to multi-task
Interested candidates should complete the online application and include a CV, cover letter that includes a list of relevant experience and the names of three references.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, or any other factor that cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top