Science Writer, Development
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Please include cover letters and writing samples in one PDF
The Office of Development is seeking a Senior Writer/Editor to join their dynamic team.
The Senior Writer/Editor will play a key role in communicating MSK’s unique mission and achievements to donors and donor prospects through diverse channels. This is an exciting time to join our team, which is rapidly innovating and expanding our communications strategy. The writer/editor will work with faculty, staff, and freelancers to communicate impactful messages in many ways, including proposals, letters, talking points, briefings, e-newsletters, email blasts, and web copy.
As the Senior Writer/Editor, you will:
- Write and edit diverse communications that differentiate MSK as the world leader in cancer care and research.
- Coordinate content calendar for busy Development department
- Manage complex editorial projects with various deliverables and internal stakeholders
- Craft messages for donors and potential donors at every stage of the philanthropy experience: cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation.
- Actively engage in all aspects of the writing process with close attention to detail—including research, writing, and editing.
- Translate complex scientific and medical information into clear, vibrant lay language.
- Prepare proposals and stewardship reports on scientific research and medical care; descriptions of giving opportunities; and other fundraising-related correspondence.
- An organized team player who’s always excited to pitch in and help when needed
- A talented writer/editor who can pivot effectively between different projects, voices, and channels without losing track of accuracy—and should be as comfortable filling a blank page as editing someone else’s draft.
- Skilled at combining a strong sense of discretion and mature judgment with superb organizational ability and emotional intelligence.
- Collaborative in the true sense of the word—interested in learning from colleagues and working together to ensure the best outcome possible.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 4 years of related professional experience.
- An understanding of scientific and medical concepts, and the ability to translate complex concepts into clear and compelling lay language is required.
- Past experience working in an academic medical center and with research faculty and clinicians is a plus. #LI-POST
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top