Research Financial Manager
- New York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Research Financial Manager (Sponsored Projects) to join the Research Financial Management team.
The group is responsible for post-award research fund administration, review, and approval of fiscal expenditures. We review the application and analysis of budgetary controls for funding sponsors. We also ensure institutional compliance with federal, state, agency, governing regulations, policies, and procedures concerning sponsored and non-sponsored research.
You serve as the principal administrative resource and contact between investigators, external funding agencies, and MSK. Act as an information consultant for the researchers in the institution.
- An effective communicator; with strong interpersonal and oral communication skills. Effectively interact with designated faculty and administrations, as well as with external contacts.
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines while maintaining professional and courteous service to our customers.
- Proactive; with a high standard of ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Collaborative and comfortable working as part of a team to interpret policies and procedures.
- Solution oriented and exercise sound judgment to solve problems within the scope of the position.
- Accurate in developing and managing budgets, projecting expenditures, and managing recommended solutions.
- Assume financial control of assigned departments and review funding expenditures by the investigators. Monitor cost allowability, administrative reasonableness, appropriate award applicability, and funding availability.
- Establish management and administrative controls for all grants, contracts, and other research funding mechanisms. Advise investigators and department administration about funding availability and potential issues.
- Ensure rules for grants management are understood, disseminated, and followed. This includes regulating federal sources, voluntary agencies, industrial contracts, philanthropic sources, and MSK institutional policy.
- In collaboration with the investigator, establish and maintain annual budgets for research awards. Act as a resource for research investigators in the area of financial award management. Be a point of contact between the investigator and the awarding agencies.
- Maintain discretion for confidential information and appropriately handle critical information and sensitive situations.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree OR 5+ years of proven experience directly related to the responsibilities of the role.
- 2-4 years of experience in a related field; preferably an administration environment performing duties similar to the above.
- Knowledge of federal agency regulations, policies and procedures, circulars, laws, and federal acquisition regulations applicable to sponsored programs.
- Mid to advanced level skills in Microsoft Office and business intelligence products such as Tableau or Cognos. #LI-Post
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time |Generous Vacation+ 12 holidays to recharge & refuel| Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care|403b Retirement Savings Plan Match|Tuition Reimbursement |Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance |Commuter Spending Account |Fitness Discounts &Wellness Program | Resource Networks| Life Insurance & Disability |
We believe in communication, openness, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process
You review the posting, agree it sounds like a great fit & apply ->Talent Acquisition contacts you to schedule a phone interview (if your profile aligns) -> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by phone or video -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to a video call or on-site visit with the team -> post-interview feedback->ideally an offer! ->reference check & onboarding-> orientation & official welcome to MSK.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top