RARC, Vet Technician
- New York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Research Animal Resource Center (RARC), a component of the Center of Comparative Medicine and Pathology which provides staff and facilities to effect the humane care and use of animals used in research and instructing at MSKCC, is currently seeking a Vet Tech. The Vet Tech will provide health care to laboratory animals maintained at MSKCC and occasionally Weill Cornell Medical College (WCMC) by evaluating cases and implementing treatment in consultation with the veterinary staff.
- Perform rounds and monitor animals to assess compliance and animal health and well-being.
- Evaluate and assess common disease conditions and reports problems.
- Coordinate clinical treatment, collect diagnostic and environmental samples, and administer euthanasia.
- Perform or assist with routine quarantine procedures on primates, dogs, cats, farm animals and rodents, including physical exam, blood collection, TB tests and collecting samples for ectoparasite examinations, and rectal cultures.
- Participate in the rodent sentinel health surveillance program
- Prepare the operating room for procedures, including preparation and sterilization of surgical instruments and supplies.
- Assist veterinarians and investigators in surgical procedures and in the pre- and post-operative care of laboratory animals.
- Monitor anesthetized animals during procedures.
- Compile reports for funding and regulatory agencies.
- Coordinate the Veterinary Services pharmacy and dispenses supplies, medication and controlled substances to investigators.
- Associates Degree / Certified Vocational Training in Veterinary Science, Veterinary Technology, or Animal Health Science OR Bachelor's Degree in Life or Natural Sciences.
- AALAS certification at a minimum of the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level strongly preferred
- Familiarity with the use of various monitoring modalities and anesthesia equipment.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Microsoft suite capabilities.
- Detail oriented and superb organization skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time |Generous Vacation+ 12 holidays to recharge & refuel| Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care|403b Retirement Savings Plan Match|Tuition Reimbursement |Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance |Commuter Spending Account |Fitness Discounts &Wellness Program | Resource Networks| Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, openness, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process
You review the posting, agree it sounds like an excellent fit & apply ->Talent Acquisition contacts you to schedule a phone interview (if your profile aligns) -> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by phone or video -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to a video call or on-site visit with the team -> post-interview feedback->ideally an offer! ->reference check & onboarding-> orientation & official welcome to MSK.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top