- New York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 30th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2019, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2019. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
We are the Patient Representatives team. Our mission is to help create quality health care experiences for patients and families. We do so by helping to prevent and resolve conflict. This is realized through our emphasis on neutrality, collaboration, and problem-solving combined with our expertise in hospital functions and procedures. We listen with an objective ear and uphold patients’ rights with a concentration on effective grievance processing. We provide risk mitigation and manage transitions in care.
We are looking for a Patient Representative to join us in personalizing and humanizing the patient experience, someone with a dedication to serving as a liaison between patients, families, and staff.
- Collaborate and partner with an incredible team of physicians, nurse leaders, patient billing, legal and quality assurance to deliver patient centered solutions
- Act as a grievance mechanism for patients/families promptly investigating and resolving identified problems
- Respond calmly and objectively to crises, thoroughly managing institutional risk, and involving appropriate parties in the investigational process with an understanding of cultural differences and differing interests of involved factions
- Establish an avenue for difficult discussions to occur while diminishing emotional outbursts and hostility between parties
- Serve as an immediate resource to patients and staff regarding situations that do not have clear outcomes and develop creative solutions
- Document perceptions of care for regulatory reporting and institutional performance improvement
- Provide assistance and education to patients and staff on advance directives, health care proxies
- Provide notary services to patients (notary license reimbursement)
- Capable of anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple partners
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complicated, sometimes contradictory information
- An effective and courteous communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
- The ability to build networks, persuade, manage complexity and communicate effectively
- Broad-based knowledge of health care systems, regulatory policies, risk mitigation, and understanding of human behavior a plus
- Master’s degree in Health Advocacy or related field preferred, equivalency considered with 10-15 years of work-related experience (MSW or RN encouraged)
Travel may be required to our Regional sites in New Jersey, Westchester, and Long Island.
Competitive compensation packages | Generous Vacation, Sick time + 12 holidays to recharge & refuel | Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care | 403b retirement savings plan match | Tuition Reimbursement | Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance | Commuter Spending Account | Fitness Discounts & Wellness Program | Resource Networks | Life Insurance & Disability
We believe in communication, transparency, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process
You read the ad, agree it sounds like a great fit & apply -> Talent Acquisition contacts you to schedule a phone interview and/or complete a tech assessment (if your profile aligns) -> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by phone or video call -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to an on-site visit with the team -> post interview feedback -> ideally an offer! -> reference check & onboarding -> orientation & official welcome to MSK
We look forward to connecting with you soon!
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top