Mgr., Retail Food Svcs.
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Manager, Retail Food Services
Our Food and Nutrition Department offer all our patients the full support of our food and nutrition team, which is available to help you with their clinical and culinary expertise.
Our culinary team is also leading the way in changing the conversation about “hospital food.” Whether you are ordering inpatient room service or visiting our cafeteria at Memorial Hospital, you and your loved ones will have access to meals that are both nutritious and tasty.
- A problem solver, who can manage complex, high quantity and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Action oriented and eager to take on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Able to use compelling arguments to persuade and gain the support and commitment of others.
- Adaptable in your approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
- A good decision maker, with proven success of making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Adept at planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- A professional who has demonstrated a pattern of upward growth and a track record of results.
Manage, control, and organize the operations of the MSKCC Cafeteria, OR Lounge, Student and Faculty Club. Manages staff to ensure compliance to standards of service and maintenance of service recipient satisfaction. Markets and promotes retail items.
- Directs and supervises activities of staff in assigned area. Hires, orients, trains, disciplines, evaluates the performance of staff. Provides guidance, feedback, and opportunities for development, as appropriate.
- Interviews and assesses candidates against required skills, job requirements, and needs of the department and in accordance with Center and legal guidelines.
- Provides direction and on-the-job training to new and current staff; assigns trainees to work stations considering what skills need developing; explains and demonstrates use of equipment and supplies as well as proper sequencing of activities, refers to appropriate resources and operations manuals; determines level of understanding and skill acquisition by having trainee demonstrate points covered; monitors trainee performance on a daily basis and provides remediation, as needed; provides feedback to manager on trainees’ progress on a weekly basis and makes recommendations to resolve any problems.
- Oversees area operations and prioritizes workflow to meet the needs of the department and ensure efficient and financially sound operations.
- Conducts ongoing analysis of the operation and initiates changes that demonstrate increased efficiency, cost effectiveness and improved satisfaction and service.
- Monitors and controls monthly food and supply cost to ensure compliance with budget for all retail operations.
- Conducts monthly inventory to identify food and supply cost, according to established inventory procedure.
- Communicates and ensures compliance with institutional/departmental policies and procedures, quality standards and improvement initiatives, safety standards, and external regulations.
- Monitors staff activities to ensure adherence to all Center (e.g., waste disposal, infection control, fire safety) and regulatory guidelines.
- Ensures security and safeguarding of food inventory and supplies.
- Monitors and ensures that food served meets acceptable standards for quality, appearance and quantity at each service station.
- Evaluates products for taste, proper temperature and acceptability daily; recommends changes when necessary.
Minimum Education: Associate Degree. Major: Food Service Management or related Field Minimum Experience: 5 years
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Meet Some of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center's Employees
Miguel B.Lead Software Engineer
Miguel provides insight on the data collected from all cancer research, ensuring every product in the hospital is backed by data science.
Back to top