Lead Patient Access Nurse (N.Y.S. RN License Required)
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Patient Access Department maximizes access for new/potential patients to MSK by using oncology expertise and critical thinking skills to provide appropriate resolution of all calls/requests to assure quality referrals and appropriate, timely appointments. Within Patient Access, the MSK Direct Team provides guided access to MSK for employees and family members of large, self-insured companies and other organizations with which we’ve partnered. They represent the MSK brand, making a positive first impression and shepherding patients through their first visit and experiences at MSK. The Patient Access Nurse Coordinator role uses oncology expertise and critical thinking skills to ensure appropriate resolution of all calls/requests and serves as the clinical resource for the Care Advisors to assure quality referrals and appropriate, timely appointments.
We are currently seeking a Lead Patient Access Nurse to provide managerial leadership to our MSK Direct nursing team while leading and/or supporting performance/process improvement projects across the department of Patient Access.
- Able to empower others and make each person feel his/her contributions are important.
- Orchestrate multiple activities simultaneously to get things done.
- Monitors progress by maintaining dialogue on work and results.
- Facilitates breakthroughs by integrating diverse views and finding common ground or acceptable alternatives.
- Builds and delivers solutions that meet customer expectations.
- Establishes clear responsibilities and processes for monitoring work and measuring results.
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles.
- Oversees team of MSK Direct and/or PAS Nurses
- Ensure ease of patient access, quality service, and seamless delivery of care in accordance with our MSK Direct service agreements.
- Promotes an environment and culture motivating staff excellence, satisfaction and development by providing guidance, feedback and opportunities.
- Acts as a clinical resource for handling complex cases and determines what requires escalation to department leadership, administrative counterparts and/or physicians
- Advocates for patients and considers MSK resources when faced with complex referrals and/or rare diagnoses.
- Keeps abreast of insurance information and changes that impact patient access to MSK.
- Builds collegiality and collaborative relationships with MSK physicians’ offices, communicating effectively about the MSK Direct Program.
- Bachelors of Nursing (BSN) is required with a related Master’s degree (preferred).
- National Certification required
- A minimum of 10 years of clinical nursing experience in Oncology
- Days, Monday-Friday #LI-MA1
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Meet Some of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center's Employees
Miguel B.Lead Software Engineer
Miguel provides insight on the data collected from all cancer research, ensuring every product in the hospital is backed by data science.
Back to top