Deputy Chief Architect
- New York, NY
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Here @MSK, we're expanding our digital and technology competencies. The enterprise is undertaking a multi-year initiative to maintain and expand our leading position in conquering cancer. Our goal is to transform the cancer care industry, in research, in clinical care and in prevention. This strategy will be critically dependent on expanding digital capabilities and MSK’s ability to drive operating model changes and extend our offerings via platform businesses.
While MSK has been investing in technology, digital and informatics capabilities to be competitive in today’s environment, there is a need to rapidly accelerate the journey and amplify our impact in a digitally enabled future through differentiating and integrated cancer capabilities. By driving digitally enabled transformation in engaging patients and by enabling clinicians, researchers, and administrative staff to work collaboratively, across clinical facilities, research laboratories, and administrative offices we will create better outcomes for everyone at risk of having cancer negatively impact their lives.
As Deputy Chief Architect, you will provide technical direction and accelerate the development of digital capabilities across MSK, helping to implement a modern architectural culture, approach and practice, while driving the buildout of our platforms across MSK. We're seeking a technical expert, architect practitioner, change agent, mentor, and strong #2 /partner to our Chief Architect. Your role will be crucial in change management and owning architectural design of 1 or more platforms.
The most important responsibilities of the Deputy Chief Architect include:
- Turning business vision into technology action
- Driving cohesion in business and technology decisions on a day to day basis
- Building trusted relationships across business and IT
- Lead a team of systems architects through an in-direct relationship (can be direct at a later time)
- Provide insights in building blueprints and roadmaps for the Data and Digital platform
- Removing friction and intelligently optimizing the IT enablement of business processes
- Establish influence and build followership within the technology org for the disciple of architecture
- Help implement a modern and mature architectural practice into everything we do
- Drive forward-thinking technical decisions and investments aligned with business priorities
- Track industry trends and new technologies to serve the enterprise’s architectural needs
- Serve as technical expert and provide technical direction to a team of architects and to others across the technical org.
Early objectives for implementing the architectural foundation include:
- Platform, Hybrid Cloud, Data, API & Integration strategy
- Omni-channel and journey-based interactions with clinicians, patients, and administrators
- Simplification and rationalization of core systems
- Aid in prioritizing competing investment and transformation opportunities in a rolling 3-year strategic roadmap, holistically integrating new and existing components and capabilities
- Managing out non-compliant applications and infrastructure over time to reduce costs
All in support of key ambitions for the joint MSK technology team:
- Simplifying and standardizing core systems — a large contingent of end users are frustrated by limited and unintegrated capabilities of the current core systems
- Cyber security and resiliency are critical “table stakes” and absolutes for the team and the company
- Enabling productive patient care — “returning the joy in work” — is a key initiative to improve the team experience for clinicians across our facilities
- Supporting research needs of Sloan Kettering Institute – amplifying the effect of research is foundational in reaching and helping the broader public
Our ideal candidate is a senior technical leader, with an inspiring personality, who will drive and oversee the architecture, roadmap and build of MSK’s data and digital platform.
Enterprise wide perspective, executive presence, influencing skills, a technology innovation agenda. Working closely across the entire organization to create architectural approaches for technology design and implementation to guide the development team. Decisive yet collaborative problem solving skills to engage the business units in driving initiatives successfully across the enterprise.
- 10 + years of work experience in complex IT environments performing systems planning, architecture design, engineering and optimization; good track record with application modernization and rationalization
- History of introducing new/emerging technology to disrupt business models
- Solid understanding of how to build dynamically scalable systems and of the journey to Hybrid Cloud
- Proven success delivering business-enabling technology roadmaps and building effective working relationships with executives and key business partners to drive change agendas
- Executing with excellence: setting purposeful goals and achieving them through intelligent actions, balancing competing priorities without losing momentum
- Leading through influence in a complex, large, matrixed environment
- History of working within an Agile delivery model & Healthcare knowledge preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of API based integration and of Big Data and Analytics environments
Location: NYC - Midtown East
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time | Generous Vacation + 12 holidays to recharge & refuel | Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care | 403b retirement savings plan match | Tuition Reimbursement | Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance | Commuter Spending Account | Fitness Discounts & Wellness Program | Resource Networks | Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, transparency, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process
You read the ad, agree it sounds like a great fit & apply -> Talent Acquisition contacts you to schedule a phone interview (if your profile aligns)-> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by video call -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to a video call with the team -> post interview feedback -> ideally an offer! -> reference check & onboarding -> orientation & official welcome to MSK
We look forward to meeting soon!
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Back to top